Ch. 9

Light filtered in through the window. I blinked in confusion. I sat up on the couch, looking around. Why was I in the living room of my apartment? Why wasn't I in my bed? Memories of last night came to mind. I had my first kiss with Ryker. I groaned in embarrassment, collapsing on the couch and burying my face in the blanket. Suddenly I realized that I didn't hear any movement in my apartment and Ryker's scent was faint. He had been gone for some time.

I sighed, sadness settling in. As I was getting a bath and getting ready, thoughts ran through my mind. He had ran away. Maybe he was embarrassed too. I mean I looked awful and had just been caught staring at him. But that kiss was... magical. Maybe he didn't feel the same way after he kissed me. I hadn't felt anything like this since the others left. I froze when a thought came to mind. Did Ryker think he was a rebound?

As I was towel drying my hair, there was a knock on the door. I scrambled towards the window. Who would be at the door this early in the morning? I peeked out the window to see Ryker standing there. I was shocked. It looked like he went home to shower and came back. His hair was still damp and he was wearing different clothes than yesterday.

I opened the door. "Ryker?"

He smiled, happiness shining from his smile. "Hey, I wasn't sure if you were up. I brought breakfast." He held up a bag from Uncle's diner.

I smiled, happy that he was back. Opening the door wider, I let him come through. Once we were seated, he took my hand. He seemed to know that something was wrong. "What's wrong, Sang? Are you having second thoughts?"

I shook my head. "No! It's just that I wasn't sure you were interested in me anymore." At the silence, I pulled my hand from his and started to wave them around. "Don't listen to me. Just insecurities talking."

Ryker sighed and walked over to where I sat. He pulled me to my feet and into a hug. "Sang, I know that you are dealing with things. I just want you to know that I am still interested in you. I should have left a note or something. I'm sorry for scaring you."

I blinked, wrapping my arms around him. After a few more minutes, we separated and sat back down. Once we started to eat, he started up a conversation. "Are you excited for tonight?"

My mind came up blank. I was so focused on Ryker that I forgot about tonight. "Tonight?"

he chuckled. "The band performing for the first time since we accepted Mr. Evers' proposal."

Heat crawled up my neck. "Oh."

Later we were just lazing away the day since there was no mission or jobs for us and the club would be open at eight. Ryker was playing on the guitar while I was reading a book. I kept stealing glances, looking away when he caught me looking. Suddenly he started to play the notes for the mashup song that I had just played on my Spotify playlist. I smirked at him, and he nudged my foot, urging me to sing. I rolled my eyes, my heart filling with happiness.

(Sang)

I'm not a stranger to the dark
"Hide away," they say
"'Cause we don't want your broken parts"
I've learned to be ashamed of all my scars
"Run away," they say
"No one'll love you as you are"

(Ryker)

But there's a hope that's waiting for you in the dark
You should know you're beautiful just the way you are
And you don't have to change a thing
The world can change its heart
No scars to your beautiful, we're stars and we're beautiful

(Sang)

Another round of bullets hits my skin
Fire away 'cause today, I won't let the shame sink in
We are bursting through the barricades
And reaching for the sun
We are warriors
Yeah, that's what we've become