Chapter 14~Shay Dixon

Dedicated to hazelwi thank you so much for your support! Please check out her amazing story, I promise you will love it! 💞

💗~*~💗

I avoid Jesse for several days, doing everything I can to make sure I don't run into him. Cole hasn't shown up to school since it all happened-about a week ago.

I texted Cole and he left me on delivered. I called his cell and his house, no answer. I finally head to his house and knock on the door.

His ten-year-old brother, Mason, answers. "Hey Shay!"

"Hi Mason, mind if I talk to Cole?"

Mason cringes. "I'm not sure...you might have to drive to the hospital...I think the East Kootenay Regional Hospital?"

"What? Is he hurt?" Why didn't he let me know?

"He was taken there three days ago..." That doesn't explain why he wasn't at school all week. "He was in a car accident and I think he had a concussion and broke a few bones."

"Thanks Mason!"

"Of course!"

I race out to my car and drive straight to the hospital. Once I get inside, I go to the front desk.

"How may I help you?" The man at the front desk asks.

I take a deep breath. "I was wondering if I could see Cole Chambers."

The man types something into his computer. "I'm sorry but unless you're family, you can't see him at the moment. Come back in a few days.

Days? "I-"

"Of course she can see him!" I turn around to see Mrs. Chambers sitting in a plastic chair, a magazine in her left hand. "We know Shay very well and I'm sure Cole would love to know she's here." I feel my heart skip a beat and turn back to the man at the front desk who checks a few things on his computer.

He hesitates before nodding reluctantly. "Fourth door on the right. You have ten minutes, possibly more depending on how he's doing."

I nod. "Thank you."

I head to the fourth room and softly knock on the door. I don't hear an answer so I carefully open the door.

I see Cole sitting up on the hospital bed, he looks at the small TV on the wall which has a sports channel on. He turns the TV off when he notices me.

"Cole?" I ask hesitantly.

"Yeah?" He sighs and avoids eye contact.

"What happened?"

"I was driving back from Moyie Lake. A deer jumped out of nowhere and I swerved to avoid it. Then I woke up here. They said I hit my head hard and broke a bone in my neck but I'll be fine after a few weeks or something."

I walk over to him, sitting in a chair beside him. "Why haven't you been at school?" Before the crash."

Cole hesitates. "I..."

A nurse comes in. "I'm sorry to interrupt but Cole needs some rest. You better come out but I'll give you two minutes to say goodbye." She closes the door behind her.

Cole looks like he wants to say something but he doesn't say anything besides; "Thanks for coming by."

"Of course, I would have come sooner if I had known." At that, I head out, not sure when I'll see him next.

💗~*~💗

I'm no psychic but I'm guessing you're thinking something like: "why didn't they kiss?" And the cryptic answer is "because." Keep reading to find out. Thank you so much for your support and have a wonderful day/night! 💞