Chapter 40~Adam Miller

Friday night I'm waiting for Sasha to call me. I turn in the news, hoping to hear about something good for once. Nothing.

Alexandra's case is closed and Jesse's murder trial is this Sunday. I debate about whether or not to check it out. My phone suddenly rings and I answer it.

"Hi Adam..." Sasha's silvery voice chimes through the speaker.

"What are we doing tonight?" I ask, not sure whether or not I want to know. I'm too tired to do something extreme.

"I was thinking we should take a walk through the park...just to talk."

That doesn't seem too bad I guess. Sasha and I rarely just talk, besides arguing. "What time?"

"Does eight work? I know that's only fifteen minutes from now but-"

Did she just ask for my opinion? She must be sick or something. "Works for me."

"Great, see you at eight and..."

"And what?"

Sasha hesitates. "Never mind, it's nothing. See you at the park." At that, she hangs up, not giving me a chance to ask again.

~*~

I wait at the gates of the park and see Sasha approaching. "Hey." I say awkwardly.

"Hi..." Sasha looks uncomfortable and, as we walk, we are both quiet. Eventually, she breaks the silence. "Did you like Alexandra?"

The question throws me off balance. Is this what's been bothering her the whole time? "I...why do you want to know?" I stammer.

Hurt flashes through Sasha's bright blue eyes, only to be replaced with anger. "Is that a yes?"

I stop walking and make her turn to look at me. "Sasha, you're my girlfriend."

Sasha looks down to her left. "That still doesn't answer my question."

I know the answer I should give her. That no, I never liked Alexandra. That I would never hurt her like that. But I can't lie. Not to Sasha.

"Alexandra...I...I didn't like her like that. It felt more like she was my sister if anything..." It's not a lie. Alexandra and I spent a lot of time together but only because J was friends with her brother, Caleb.

Sasha nods but doesn't seem convinced. She remains silent though and nothing much gets said as we head back.

💗~*~💗

Thank you so much for reading! I would say more but I'm afraid if spoiling it. Have a great day/night! 💞