Chapter 27~Adam Miller

I'm awakened by sirens. I get dressed and head outside. I expect everyone to still be asleep but instead the whole neighbourhood is on the sidewalks.

My next-door-neighbour, Sadie Roberts, is sitting on her wooden front porch. She looks wide awake and alert.

I head over to her, knowing she's probably the best person to ask about the sirens. "What's going on?"

Sadie gives a small shrug. "No one knows, the police won't say yet. At least, no one around here knows much."

"What house?"

Sadie glances sideways. "I...I don't know Adam."

But the look in her eyes says the exact opposite. I'm positive she knows more than she's letting on. "What. House?"

Sadie sighs. "Caleb's."

I freeze. Caleb's on a school trip. Sam's at a friend's house. Mr. Brooks would probably still be at his meeting. Well, not anymore I guess. That leaves one person.

"Adam!"

I turn around to see Sasha running towards me. "What is it?"

"Do you think Alex is hurt? This is all my fault-I never meant to wish her harm!" Sasha's tone sounds upset but you would think she couldn't care less by her face. I know she struggles to express her feelings though so I let it slide, pulling her into a hug instead.

"I'm sure it's not your fault. But, what did you say to her?"

Sasha sighs and rests her head on my shoulder. "I-I warned her to get away from you. I was just being protective!"

Warned her? So Alex was right when she told me what Sasha said. Sasha can be a bit bossy at times but she would never hurt anyone on purpose. "I'm sure Alex is fine."

Sasha nods and, for a second, I think she's genuinely worried.

💗~*~💗

What do you think happened with Alexandra and Sasha?

You'll find out the truth soon enough. Hope you are enjoying the book and have a great day/night! 💞