Chapter 17~Shay Dixon

Two weeks go by and even though I claimed I didn't want to ruin our friendship, I think I did when I said no. We haven't hung out in a while even though we used to at least three times a week.

I get home from school before remembering I have a science project due tomorrow and I left it at school. I sigh and hop back in my car.

I notice the basketball team is just exiting the school. I head straight inside, not wanting to see Jesse or even Cole right now.

Once I grab the project, I'm placing it back in my car when I hear shouting. I turn around just in time to see Jesse throwing a swift punch at Cole.

Let them go, you won't be able to stop them. But I gotta try.

I race out to the cement pad. "Jesse! Stop!"

Jesse hits Cole again and then Cole starts to fight back.

"Jesse!" I beg, tears in my eyes. "Please stop!"

Jesse punches Cole in the face and Cole begins to bleed. I knew Jesse had anger issues but where is all of this coming from? I see Jesse wrap an arm around Cole's neck and that's the moment I intercept them.

I shove Jesse but he only shoved me back, making me skid across the cement. He then does a double take. "Shay?"

Cole tries to get back up but Jesse kicks him to the ground. I go around so I'm behind Jesse. He doesn't see me, too distracted with his vengeance.

Jesse grabs his pocket knife, he always has one with him but I never thought he would use it for this reason.

"Jesse, what are you doing?" I cry out. My head is pounding from hitting the cement. My palms are bleeding as well but it doesn't look too bad.

Jesse goes to drive it into Cole but I pull the knife out of his grip.

Jesse goes to grab it back but I dodge his swipe, his anger is making him clumsy. "Give it back Shay!"

"For what reason?" I hiss.

"Don't make me hurt you Shay." Jesse's eyes are wild, it's clear he's not thinking straight but I've never seen him so angry.

I grip the knife in my hand. I can't get up and Cole's laying on the cement, a few metres away.

I drive the knife forward so the blade skims Jesse's chest and he lets out a shriek. He won't get off though and I see blood on my white jacket. A lot of it. I stab at him again a new am then able to escape him.

I can hardly stand so I crawl over to Cole's side. His neck is bent at an awkward angle and I remember his saying he had broken a neck bone during the car accident. I'm so focused on Cole that I don't even notice when Jesse comes up behind me.

Suddenly a knife is being held at my neck. "Say goodbye, Shay." Jesse whispers in my ear. I'm trapped.

"Cole!" I cry out. Jesse hold the knife closer so it's cool blade brushes my neck. "Help me!"

I see Cole's eyes open a bit and as soon as he sees me, he seems to have a new source of energy. Cole leaps to his feet and tears Jesse away from me. Jesse is caught off guard by the sudden movement and the knife drops into my lap. Once again Jesse is on Cole and I have just enough energy to stab Jesse in the back. Literally.

I watch as the life goes out of Jesse's eyes. "No!" I don't know what I expected but I didn't want to kill him. I scream as I watch Jesse fall with a thud.

I crawl to Cole's body, he's no longer conscious it seems. "Cole?"

I check for a heartbeat and am filled with relief when I find one. But it's a very slow one. "Cole, you have to wake up..."

Pulling out my phone, I dial 911 and start explaining how my ex attacked my best friend and in order to defend myself, I had to kill him. I hear the ambulance from far away and feel Cole shift next to me.

"Shay? What happened?" Cole moans.

"It doesn't matter, we're fine now..." Even as I say it, I know it's all lies. After this, there will probably be a trial of some sort. Not to mention our reputations will be destroyed.

Cole gives me a small smile. "You have something on your cheek." He brushes his thumb across it and I see that it's blood.

I laugh because it's clearly everywhere. Cole laughs too and I think we're in some sort of shock because we end up laughing until the police show up.

Our laughter stops instantly. Cole begins to get to his feet and turns to help me. We help each other to the nearest bench which, lucky for us, is only a few meters away. However, even that seems like a few miles away.

A doctor comes to help us. "You kids better come with us, we'll ask questions later."

Cole and I nod before we're taken inside the ambulance, our backs leaning against a wall. I hear Cole say something but I only hear the end of it.

"Sorry, what?"

Cole looks down at his feet and then up at me. "Thank you...you kinda saved my life."

"You saved mine too." I give a weak smile.

I head to his side and sit down next to him. "How's your neck?"

Cole shrugs, "I can hardly feel anything anymore."

I get an idea in my head and feel a burst of confidence. I lean over and give him a kiss on the cheek. "Is that so?"

Cole seems even more shocked now and he gives me a killer smile. "I'm cured."

I laugh and he pulls me in for another kiss, this time, one the lips. After a minute, I end it. "So how about that date?" I whisper, then second guess my words. I shouldn't have been so desperate.

Cole laughs. "I think you know the answer to that." This time, I don't know who kisses first.

💗~*~💗

So how bout that? Happy that they finally kissed? Or maybe your grieving over Jesse. Whatever it is, I hope you enjoyed! Have a great day/night!💞