Chapter 33~Jason Stone

I start up the truck, Carrie in the passenger side. I hear screaming from another vehicle just as I go to put my truck in drive.

"Jason..." Carrie warns me. "We should probably help whoever that is."

"Relax, it's probably just someone excited.

"I don't think so." Carrie grabs my wrist, her hand shaking. "Please Jason...I wouldn't be able to sleep if someone got hurt because we didn't check."

I push her hand away. "It's nothing. Besides, someone else can help them."

"No one else is around though!"

I sigh, pull out, and drive to a small red Toyota. I roll down my window and see an old man. Oddly enough, he seems to be the only person in his car.

The man rolls down his window in turn, giving me a friendly smile. "What do you kids need?"

There's something not right about him but I let it slide. "Actually, we heard screaming and were wondering if someone was hurt."

The man gives a small laugh. "I was just listening to some heavy metal on the radio."

I'm not sure if I believe him but I decide to anyway. I give a tight laugh. "Ok, well have a goodnight sir-"

I break off when a muffled scream comes from the back of his car. The man's eyes widen and he starts driving. I drive up to the man but I have to keep increasing my speed.

"Careful Jason!" Carrie cries out from where she sits, gripping the edge of the passenger seat.

"He can only go so fast..." Even as I say it, I know the guy's probably not thinking straight. He could go as fast as he wants. His speed continues to change and his car slides all over the road.

We're nearly at the exit of Moyie Lake when the man's car tips over, into the ditch. I slam on my brakes, my truck screeching to a sudden halt. Lucky for me, Carrie saw it coming and latched onto the seat.

"Stay in the truck." I order Carrie. "Call the police, I'll check to see if they're alive or not."

Carrie gives a shaky nod. I hesitate before getting out of the truck, not sure if I really want to see what happened.

The car window is still open and I have to reach inside to unlock the doors. I see that the man is dead, all the blood proves there is no way he survived. I open the back door slowly, not sure I want to see the results.

I find a girl, strapped with all three seatbelts, in the back. Her straight brown hair covers her face and I carefully brush it back. I'm shocked to recognize Sadie.

I check for a heartbeat and a sense of relief goes through me when I find one. Sadly, it's a very small beat. She just needs to wake up.

I lift her out of the car carefully and set her on the grass, far enough away from the car so that a piece of broken glass or metal doesn't cut her. Not sure what else to do, I gently shake her. Shaking probably isn't the best, but I don't know what else to do and I need her to wake up fast. She'll probably have at least a concussion anyway.

Her honey brown eyes flutter open. "Jason? Where-" She sits up quickly, realization hitting her.

"Everything will be fine, are you hurt anywhere?" There's no blood anywhere but she could have some internal damage.

Sadie hesitates. "My head hurts...other than that, I think I'm okay..."

I nod. "You're probably still in shock, let's head back to my truck." I go to pick her up but she stops me.

"I can walk." She goes to get up but winces.

"Thanks." She sighs.

I nod and head back to the truck. Carrie opens the back door and I rest Sadie on the seat carefully. She does her seatbelt up quickly and I get in the front seat and start driving. I don't want to think about what would've happened if I hadn't turned around.

~*~

I drive to the Cranbrook Mall, surprised when I see that the rest of the group is still there. Carrie goes to get out of the car but stops when she notices I'm not going anywhere.

"I better take Sadie to the hospital." I explain.

Sadie snorts, I don't even have to look back to know she's rolling her eyes. "I'm fine-even if I'm not, Liam can take me."

"Liam?" I frown, does she have a boyfriend?

"My brother."

A sense of relief washes over me. I then remind myself that my girlfriend, Scarlet, only just broke up with me. I would look like a total player if I started anything with Sadie. Carrie, looking bored, leaves to join the group.

"Ok, I'll let your brother know you're here then..." I'm a bit disappointed but my spirits lift when I hear her reply.

"Thank you...you saved my life, Jason..."

I hesitate. "Carrie was really the one to make me turn around. She's the one you should be thanking."

"Maybe so. But you could have ignored her. You were the driver and, besides, now you've probably lost the game."

I laugh. "I seriously doubt I would've wanted to go to the next even anyway."

Sadie laughs too and I reluctantly get out of the car to find Liam.

💗~*~💗

Thank you so much for reading! Have a great day/night! 💞