E i g h t

KLAUS POV

I should have known Elijah wasn't going to let what happened between Charlotte and I go. He followed me back to the teachers apartment, not saying a word until we word behind closed doors.

"What are you up to Klaus?" He questioned, with an already accusing tone as soon as the door shut behind us.

"I don't know what you mean brother." I brushed him off. The last thing I needed was Elijah knowing more than I wanted him to.

"You spare no one Niklaus— so why didn't you kill the girl?" He was getting more agitated with me, I could tell but that was nothing new. Katherine came in the room, leaning against the door frame of the bedroom. She was being nosey, which has always been typical of her. I knew Elijah saw her, but he paid her no attention. He was on a mission to finish this conversation.

"Damon interrupted and then I needed to get to the sacrifice." I deadpanned. That was my answer and I was sticking to it, he could pry all he wanted to. I couldn't say it, I couldn't admit it and I wouldn't tell Elijah a word about it. The last thing I needed was my brother clinging to the news as a source to try and save me or change me. I needed to create my army, with no distractions.

"I don't buy it." Elijah argued. "Haven't you done enough to them?"

Now he was pushing me. I already told him I had no hidden plans, but Elijah being his usual noble self couldn't let it go. He couldn't believe me— I was his bastard evil brother, who always had to have a plan.

"Elijah." I snapped. "I told you, I have no plan for her."

"If I only I could believe you." He huffed.

"I don't care if you do or not." I deadpanned and a knock rung through the apartment. "Ah— saved by the knock." I smirked, and the door flung open. Stefan was standing in the doorway, looking desperate and I knew what he was here for.

***
CHARLIE POV

I forced myself to go to the Salvatore house. I didn't want too— I couldn't handle the thought of having to say goodbye to one of my best friends. But I knew if I didn't go, I would regret it for a long time— if not the rest of my life. Damon was good to me, not always but he was now. He protected me, he cares for me and I couldn't not say goodbye.

When I walked into the house it was quiet, I expected Damon to be upstairs in bed but there he was. He was sitting on the couch with a glass of bourbon in his hand by the fire. Elena was sitting opposite him and Alaric was posted in the corner, staring out the window.

"Guys?" I questioned, knowing that something was off. Part of me knew it was probably because Damon was dying but it seemed like more than that.

"Charlie." Elena breathed, a small smile playing on her lips as she made her way over to me. She embraced me in a hug and I squeezed her back in return. I hadn't seen Elena since the sacrifice, it was hard for me to face her after what happened to Jenna and John. I just didn't know what to say, I was never good with comforting words.

"You doing okay?" I asked, knowing it was a stupid question because of course she wasn't okay. "I mean I know you're not okay— I'm so sorry about Jenna and I can't— "

"Char." She interrupted. "Stefan is gone."

Problems were never ending. It felt like as soon as we resolved one , another was thrown in our face. I was staring to get the feeling things would never settle down or be normal again.

"What do you mean gone?" I questioned. "Where did he go?"

"Little brother had to be the hero." Damon huffed from his place on the couch, taking a large sip of his bourbon. "He got a cure to my werewolf bite and now he's paying for it."