E i g h t t e e n

CHARLIE POV

Elijah and I walked into the school gym, that was decorated in night under the stars theme. We were arm in arm and I could feel the stares.

Maybe because he did look a little to old to be my date.... And if only they knew how old he really was.

Caroline has done a great job once again decorating for this dance. There were lights strung from all over the ceiling that flickered like stars. It made the room glow soft and warm. The gym was actually bearable without the harsh school lights.

"Everyone is staring." I laughed under my breath, shaking my head.

"It's because of you." Elijah smiled.

"Hmm I think it's you." I lightly jabbed my shoulder against him playfully.

"No, it's how beautiful you look." He insisted. "Trust me, you would stop a room in anytime period I have lived through."

I couldn't help but blush. It was words like that he spoke that made me soft for Elijah. His kind and thoughtful compliments like the ones he would write in his letters, they were perfect.

I didn't have anything to say to his compliment so I just smiled.

I looked around the room for my friends and saw the group of them standing in the back corner looking anxious.

"Hey guys!" I greeted as we walked up to them. It was Damon, Elena, Bonnie, Jeremy and even Stefan.  Caroline was up by the DJ Booth with Tyler.

"Charlie." Damon smiled, walking towards me hastily. "Mind if I borrow her for a sec Elijah? Great thanks!"

Damon didn't even want for an answer before whisking me quickly away, pulling me outside into the brisk air.

"Okay, it's cold! What gives?" I questioned.

"What gives?!" He huffed. "Were you going to tell any of us your date to homecoming was Elijah Mikaelson?!"

I didn't know why Damon was so freaked out. He knew Elijah and I had been hanging out. Everyone was fine with Elijah, it was Klaus they hated.

"Damon... Elijah and I have been friends for awhile now." I defended

"No — I mean yes I know that! Don't care about that part." He explained.

"Then what's the issue?" I stared him down waiting for an answer.

"The issue is we made a plan with Katherine and your little boyfriends vampier hunter father was resurrected and he's here tonight to kill Klaus and now that you've brought Elijah well.... Probably him too." He blurted in one fast sentence that nearly sent my head spinning. My eyes widened..

"You didn't." I deadpanned

"We did." He huffed, shaking his head. "Things can really never go according to plan huh?"

I was scared for Elijah and also angry. If they had this plan, why didn't anyone bother to tell me? I could have warned Elijah.

I could have warned Klaus. I didn't want him dead either, I knew I should but I didn't.

"I have to tell Elijah." I started to head back inside. "He doesn't deserve this."

***

KLAUS POV

I pushed the door to the school gym open, it slammed against the cold brick and echoed through the gym. All eyes were on me.

I saw Elijah across the room, his eyes were locked on Charlotte.