S i x t e e n

Elijah walked into the room and his face went hard as stone. His eyes trailed between Klaus and I. I could tell he was a mixture of confused and worried.

"What's going on?" Elijah questioned, waiting for my answer because he probably wouldn't have believed Klaus. My heart was still pounding in my chest, the adrenaline was still flowing to the tips of my toes.

"Someone was here... I think they were trying to get in to my house." I answered. "The power was out... I was scared."

"Are you alright?" he urged, looking me over.

"I'm fine." I nodded. "I tried to call you but then when you didn't answer, I called Klaus."

Elijah looked to his brother with a watchful eye. I couldn't blame him for expecting the worst of him, but it wasn't the case here.

"Don't worry Elijah." he huffed. "Charlotte here was just desperate that's all." there was an edge to his voice that told me there was more anger in that statement then anything else.

"Well I'm here now." Elijah took a step in my direction, reaching his hand out for me. I didn't expect that, it was like he was trying to prove something. I reached out and grabbed his hand anyways, he gave me a reassuring squeeze.

"Great." Klaus deadpanned. He headed for the door and Elijah watched him with narrowed eyes.

"Niklaus." Elijah called after him. "I need to speak with you."

"Fine." Klaus huffed and continued walking, leaving the two of us alone in my room.

Elijah refocused his attention on me. "There is something I need to discuss with my brother, I'll come back and check on you in a bit, is that okay?"

"Yeah." I nodded. I think I needed a minute alone after everything that just happened anyways. I wanted a moment to try and collect myself and my thoughts. To try and figure out what I was actually feeling. "I'll be fine."

"Are you sure because last time you said that..."

"Elijah." I laughed. "It's okay. Just have your phone on you." Or don't. I wouldn't have minded having to call Klaus to my rescue again, which I felt a little guilty for thinking with Elijah standing here pouring concern over me.

"Okay, I'm a phone call away." He smiled and embraced me into a hug. I wish I felt the rush of sensations I felt when Klaus touched me but the truth was, I didn't. I couldn't figure out why. It wasn't something I could describe. But then I would think of the letters Elijah had been writing me and I would almost turn to mush. He was sweet and thoughtful. He actually cared for me and Klaus... I didn't know what Klaus thought.

****

KLAUS POV

"What is it Elijah?" I really wasn't in the mood to be making conversation with my brother right now. If he wanted to have some heart to heart about Charlotte, I wouldn't be sticking around. He followed behind me, into the front doors of our new home and didn't say a word until we got inside.

"It's Katherine." Elijah answered, stopping me in my tracks.

"You've seen her?" She owed me. She owed me her life after running from me five hundred years ago, sending me on this endless chase for breaking my curse. Because of her I spent the better half of the last century thinking I could never break it. I wanted her to pay, to suffer.

"I did." He nodded. His face was like stone, like he was trying not to show me how he was feeling. My idiotic brother could not be falling for Katerina again... there was no way. Especially not with him latching on to Charlotte like she was Anna-Marie.