T h i r t e e n

KLAUS POV

When the sun started to peek through her blinds bringing the start of the morning, clarity came with it. I couldn't be here when she woke up. I couldn't answer questions, I couldn't play the caring role she probably now expected from me. I had to leave. No one was going to break into her house in broad daylight, so I knew she would be safe.

I stood off her chair and wooshed across the room and out the door, not making a single sound. Rebekah had sent me the address of a house on the edge of town she apparently decided to claim as our own. I didn't know if I planned on staying in this town, but I also wasn't sure I could leave.

I walked into the house, trying to be quiet. I was hoping Rebekah was asleep so I didn't have to deal with her this early.

"Where were you?" she boomed, sitting in an empty living room on a dusty old couch.

"I had things to do." I brushed her off, I didn't owe her an explanation. "Where's Elijah?" I looked around the house.

"Here brother." Elijah said, stepping out from behind the wall.

"You undaggered him?" I huffed, scowling at my little sister. I was unjustifiably angry with Elijah. I couldn't help it.

"Of course I did Nik!" she shouted. "You had no reason to dagger him."

"I had a reason!" I shouted without thinking. Both of them looked at me with furrowed brows.

"Please, do tell us Niklaus." Elijah kept calm, adjusting his suit to perfection as he walked towards me. "What did I do this time to warrant a dagger being stabbed into my chest?"

I didn't say anything. I just clenched my jaw and locked my stare with my older brothers.

"Where is the girl Niklaus?" he asked. "If you have harmed a hair on her head, you will regret it."

"Brother." I shook my head and laughed under my breath. "I don't fear you. I don't fear anyone." I wasn't going to let Elijah threaten me. I was the Hybrid, I was the unkillable.

"Where is she?" he repeated but I ignored him. I walked away wanting to look around the rest of the large old house. But Elijah's voice boomed, echoing through the abandoned home.

"Niklaus!" he boomed. "Answer me."

I stopped in my tracks, my body tensed and my fists balled by my side. He wouldn't demand an answer from me when it came to her.

"I have told you before, I wouldn't harm her." I snapped. "The girl is fine! Can't you just believe for once I don't have nefarious intentions?"

"No." he deadpanned. "I can't brother. Because you have never proven otherwise."

"Spare me the lecture Elijah." I tossed my hands up, I wasn't going to argue with him any longer. "Charlotte is fine."

"I'll check for myself." He started to move towards the door and the rage took a hold over me again. I couldn't stop myself, I rushed the door and stood in front of it with my eyes narrowed on Elijah, pushing him backwards. He regained his footing and rushed back towards me.

"Knock it off!" Rebekah yelled, standing between the two of us. "What the hell is going on with you two?"

Elijah and I never look away from one another.

"What is this about Niklaus?" Elijah asked. My throat was dry again. It was about Charlotte, that was obvious but I couldn't admit that. It was about him going to be alone with her, coming to her rescue. The thoughts made my skin crawl. My perfect noble brother being the obvious winner and I staying the monster.