Chapter 1

In pairs, groups, and singles, 23 boys entered the I-Land stage. They watched each other curiously, some trainees more notorious than others.

"The number is uneven, I wonder what that means," Seon pondered. At that moment, one last trainee cautiously walked onto the platform, her hands intertwined in front of her in nervousness.

Kim Nari desperately fought to even her breaths as she took unsure steps onto the first platform, bouncing between messing with the sleeves of her purple knit sweater and her loosely curled hair.

She flinched with a small gasp as the stage suddenly started moving her forward, her feet barely adjusting in time to balance her weight. Without ever looking up, she took a seat on the very end of the right side, as far away as possible from every other trainee.

The boys were all wondering why there was suddenly a girl among them, and how old she could possibly be with her meager height and remaining baby fat on her cheeks.

Admittedly, they were also drawn to the fairly tan hue of her skin, wondering her background. Their thoughts were soon, however, cut off by the narrating voice coming from above, telling them they'll perform what they've practiced and vote each other in or out of I-Land.

A single trainee went first, performing Got7's, "Lullaby." In all honesty, Nari didn't think his performance was very strong, but she caved to peer pressure and voted for him anyway.

Next was a pair of boys performing NCT U's, "The 7th Sense." Their dance deeply impressed her, making her feel self conscious of her own performance which she'd eventually be forced to show.

Before she knew it, she was the only one left to perform. With a deep breath and a puff of her inhaler, she took her place on the stage.

"What were you thinking when you took the stage?"

Nari hummed, considering the question.

"To be honest, I wasn't very confident in my song choice. Not because I didn't think I could perform it well, but because I didn't know what kind of impression it would make to an all-boy group of trainees. I just hoped my preparations would pay off."