Chapter 7

Noorie grumbled profanities as she yanked at Maryam's bigger veil off the stand. She started wrapping it around her head knowing fully well it wasn't hers, she knew how these things end. Her mother would always have her back with or without Maryam's consent. She picked up a pin, and started securing the veil round her head, hoping it doesn't fall off, the mere thought of going to her grandparents place irks her. Her grand parents have this deep connection with Maryam, they are always fawning around her as if hurting her would be a crime.
She pricked her cheek with the pin, and a loud hiss escaped her mouth making her mother look up with a frown.

"If you like, push your mouth till it falls off, you must go see my parents" Mommy stated eyeing Noorie angrily. Noorie did not reply, she knows how angry her mother is today, she had a confrontation with Mama as usual and Mama had threatened to as her sons beat her up like the child she is. Mommy had gone to her room, and decided moments later they were going to see her own parents who live at Apo, Abuja.

Mommy has two older brothers who are married, and are living in the recently renovated family house with her parents. Her brothers aren't very rich, but they earn enough to take care of their families. When Baba (Mommy's father) sold his only land in Zamfara to a network center at a very huge price, he decided to buy off his neighbors out of their houses. Those house had made up the gigantic family house which they all live in. Her two younger sisters are married as well, but none of their husbands are as successful as mommy's husband.

Maryam exited the bathroom excitedly, she knew going over to her grandparents house meant so much joy. She had stayed over there when Noorie and the others travel to Katsina to visit Alhaji Matazu's extended family. It would be really awkward to tag her along, and Mommy hated going over and over with explanations about Maryam's parternity. She had quietly worn the black Abaya her mother had dropped on the bed for her.the little ones were already dressed up and they were outside screaming and playing games children enjoy. Maryam rubbed the cream on the visible part of her body while mommy wasn't looking. It's a bad habit she could not get rid of, she promises the cream makes her oily and hot.

When Maryam turned to the stand, she immediately knew her veil was missing. She turned to Noorie who was busy by the vanity at the side of the bed, throwing her daring looks. Maryam could remember vividly how these Abayas were purchased. Noorie loves bling, but her veil had been small. She was determined she did not care about small veils, now she has gone back on her word daring Maryam to say something. Maryam turned to the veil on the stand slowly, she picked it up and decided to wrap it on her head, unsuccessfully. She tried again, but it wasn't meant for that purpose. She yanked it off her head frustratingly only to catch Noorie giggling at her distress. She tried ignoring her, but she could not. It was hers and she was going to take it back whether Noorie and her mother likes it or not.

"Give me my veil this instant" Maryam seethed angrily moving towards Noorie who was patting her head to keep the gigantic ribbon she had used on her hair in place. She ignored Maryam and continue what she was doing. "This is your veil, untie mine right away and take yours" Maryam said again. Noorie peeked at their mother through the vanity, but the woman was typing on her phone furiously, her attention was not on them.

"I will not, I have already tied it in my head as you can see. What do you want me to do? Loosen it?" She asked eyeing Maryam with so much disdain.

"Yes" Maryam answered. Noorie's eyes darted towards her mother for the second time, with no luck the woman was too busy to care what her daughters were doing at the moment.

"I will not. Even if you report to Mommy, you will still end up using the smaller veil. Why don't you give it a rest, and take mine?" Noorie taunted, her eyes darted towards her mother and finally the woman was paying attention.