Chapter 17

Maryam stared at her mother bewilderedly, waiting for her to burst into laughter and tell her she was joking but her mother's stoic face did not light up, infact it remained apathetic for those seconds she was hoping it would change. She felt her knees giving up so she flopped on the sofa. She remained quiet for some minutes, still hoping for a change, but nothing happened. Maryam sat up and placed both her hands on her thighs.

"Mommy, what about Noorie?"

Maryam's mother raised her head abruptly upon hearing her statement about Noorie. She scoffed and moved around the sofa looking for a comfortable position to be in before she answers her, and when she found it, she dropped her phone beside her slowly before taking her attention back to Maryam.

"What about Noorie?" She asked, knowing fully well what Maryam had meant by bringing up Noorie.

"Mommy, you and everyone else knows I have a boyfriend. You know I have had Khalid years ago. I am asking because no one seems to have seen Noorie's boyfriend. Why don't you take this request to Noorie whose boyfriends change monthly because of reasons best known to her. I am just a little older than Noorie, but she has come of age for marriage too" Maryam concluded wiping her sweaty palms on her dress.

Her mother laughed humorlessly for a whole minute. And then she moved closer to where Maryam was seated with a look of disbelief on her face.

"So, this is how wicked you are Maryam. You would subject your own younger sister into a loveless marriage! Haba¹ I expected more from you" she stated making Maryam go rigid. What was her mother saying? She sounded insane.

"Mama, you're doing the same thing to me, you're subjecting me to a life of loveless marriage"

"I am actually doing you a favor Maryam. I am saving you, but you brought up your own sister because you want to punish her" her mother gritted much to her dismay.

"What are you saying?" Maryam squeaked in disbelief.

"Listen young girl. I do not have the time to banter words with you. Go and tell that good for nothing Khalid you're marrying someone else" her mother stated making Maryam's heart beat accelerate. She placed her hand on her chest because it felt like it would jump out anytime soon. It felt like it would rip into pieces because her mother was making series of accusations she could not even understand.

"I do not love whoever it is you're planning on arranging for me. I have some one, I already had some one and you've always known. What are you doing this to me?" Maryam squealed before bursting into loud sobs. If Maryam's mother was affected by Maryam's sob, she did not show it. Infact she had on a bored expression.

"You know nothing child. I am doing you a favor. Maryam, unlike your sister Noorie, you're not that pretty. She is fairer, taller, prettier and ofcourse more social. She goes in and out of the elites lives. Her exs' are all sons of politicians, governors and even senators! Finding a rich boy would not be hard for Noorie because she knows her way. But you........" She let out a very mean laugh, and even wiped the invisible tears on her face.
"The only boy who has ever shown interest in you is a good for nothing boy from Zaria. Son of a pauper. Do you think I will fold my arms and watch you throw yourself away to these mongers, leeches and hungry people? Ha! Never"

Maryam was already crying loudly by now. Her mother had never ever cared for her feelings, but today had shown her how unappreciated she was. Noorie might be more attractive, but Maryam knew she is prettier than Noorie hands down. Noorie is the kind whom you'd sight from afar and you would think she's all perfect. Her nose isn't even as long as Maryam's. Her lips were big, which is a trait no one has been able to pin point where she had gotten it from. With the excessive make up and rich friends, Noorie could still never be half the woman Maryam is.