PROLOGUE

When Maryam got to the gate or their house, she sighed softly feeling depressed all over again. She had just got separated from her friends a while ago. She adjusted her bag, picked a stone and knocked on the gate as loudly as she could. Baba maigadi, is the type of gate man that gets carried away by silly things. He's never by the gate, either roaming round the house trying to scare away the neighbors cats or stoning lizards claiming they're evil spirits sent by his village people to get him sacked. Not knowing chasing the lizards alone is opening ways to end his job. She banged the stone harder this time only to hear him running towards the gate. He was definitely chasing lizards. It's frustrating how he refuses yo let those poor peaceful animals have peace of mind. She advised he buys a cat, but Baba Maigadi branded cat as evil spirits. Infact the only animals he hasn't attributed to evil spirit is anyone meant for his consumption.
     "Mairamu keta¹?" He yelled happily.
     "Eeeee Baba" she replied with a smile. Baba Maigadi, adores Maryam because of how homely she is. Amongst all the children in that house, Maryam is the only one who respects him. She would humbly serve his food and still laugh at his dry jokes, he tells horrible jokes you see. On days when she's stressed out of her wits, he would help her run her errands while she rests under the tree by his small room.
     "Sannu da zuwa!² Ya makaranta?³" he chirped after opening the door.
She smiled at him before answering that school is fine. On closing the door, they heard a honk, Maryam knew her siblings were back from school. Yes! They don't attend the same school and she goes to her school by foot while they had a designated driver to take them.

The driver swerved in. Baba Direba is also someone who likes Maryam because she's both humble and respectful, a trait the other kids lacked. It's a sienna you see, they trooped out of the car with no care in the world. None of them deemed it necessary to greet Baba Direba. As long as they knew, he is irrelevant since he works for their parents.
     "Maryam come pick our bags" their eldest brother called out. Maryam sighed softly but didn't argue. Besides who would listen to her even if she complains. It's not like it's her father's house.
She packed their bags and made sure to take each person's bag into their respective rooms. Immediately she made her presence known in the house. Her mother called her and listed everything she's to do. Her half siblings were munching cereal since they couldn't wait for the afternoon meal to be prepared. Maryam knows she isn't allowed to have cereal, so she drank a whole leather of pure water, then set out to start her duty just like everyother day.

Glossary:
¹mairamu keta? - is that you Maryam?
²Sannu da zuwa - you're welcome.
³Ya makaranta? - how was school?