Chapter 11

Maryam signed the paper shakily, her heart was beating erratically. She inhaled deeply, and exhaled but the breathing exercise did nothing to her frantic heart. She stood by the door, attempted to knock but couldn't do it. She groaned softly and sat on the bench by the door. She stood up again, and attempted to knock but stopped herself.

She buried her face on her thighs and dramatically stamped her feet numerous times, yet the fear of the consequences of her actions wouldn't let go of her. She remembered her conversation with the woman from the office.
     "If you sign and submit this back to me, there is no going back. Are you sure this is what you want to do?" Maryam had nodded quickly, in a bid to collect the form from the woman. The woman stared at Maryam for some moments before handing her the paper. She had excused herself, and sat outside the office with the intention of doing the needful. Now that she had signed it, she felt as if her heart would explode because of anticipation.

Meanwhile Islam had exited the Registrar's office and wanted to head to the administrator for his files. His phone had rang and he had picked quickly on seeing his brother's face.

     "My sweet Computer analyst, how are you?" His older brother had greeted making Islam cringe. He frowned deeply and adjusted his trousers that were halfway down his butt cheek. He felt so overdressed, everyone literally gives him once overs because of the amount of clothing he had on. So he had on a gigantic T-shirt which stops a little above his knees, a leather jacket and a face cap with pair of pencil jean trousers, the Balenciaga gave the impression of him being a tout. And to top it all, he had on shades, overall he looks like a rapper. Just a microphone and he's good to go.

The annoying part is, his uncle had been the one who had dropped him off, now he couldn't go back home to change when he saw how normal the other students looked.
     "I am disgrace" Islam deadpanned making Iman chuckle. The truth is Islam is a bit on the dramatic side. He takes thing so seriously.

     "What have you done to your poor self?" His older brother asked knowing it was nothing serious.

     "I am over dressed. Now I look like the fairer version of Lil wayne. People are staring, it's so uncomfortable" he whined dramatically. Iman had covered his mouth with is palm trying to muffle the laughter, but it was impossible so he burst into loud laughter much to his brother's dismay. "Laugh all you want. Good bye" he grumbled ending the call. When Islam got to the Administrative block, he was more than frustrated with himself. On getting to the office numbered three, he saw a girl in maroon hijab groaning and tapping her feet on the floor.

He watched as she stood up, spent a few seconds doing the breathing exercise, before walking forcefully towards the door. Her hand stopped in mid air before she dropped it slowly. She groaned and hopped dramatically towards the bench making a smile creep its way up Islam's face. She hadn't noticed him, or feel his burning gaze on her because she was so concentrated in trying to get the courage to knock and submit the form.

      "I can do this. I can do this. I can do this" she chanted loudly enough for me him to hear. Then she stood up with her bravest face and marched to the door. Islam immediately wished one of his buddies from London were here, they would have bet on his Balenciaga if she would open the door or not. When Maryam got to the door, her shoulders sag and she inhaled a little to loudly.

      "Just go in already. It's painful watching you" Islam advised and Maryam stilled, she had no idea she was being watched. She turned slowly and when she saw Islam, she stiffled a laugh. He frowned and dropped his bag on the bench before plopping down the bench tiredly, with his clothing all over the place. "I am glad you find me funny" he stated humorlessly making her small smile disappear. She immediately noticed her was distressed. She picked up her bag and slid the signed paper inside.