Chapter 20

I was tearing up. It was mentally torturous. I felt like I would go crazy. I thought I would die.

I heard footsteps, as if someone was climbing upstairs, slowly and slowly, coming for me.

I peeped out of the duvet, staring at the door without blinking. I could feel the stinging sensation in my eyes but I didn't dare to blink and miss any movement in the room. The door opened slightly and I narrowed my eyes to shut them as I thought I would see something terrifying and scream my soul out, but it was just air.

"Gwen" And I heard it right behind me. It was not near the door, but it had been right behind me, next to my ear. My heart was about to pop out of my chest.

I didn't turn around and immediately got off the bed and ran downstairs towards the main door to get out of the house. That was probably the only way to save myself.

Right when I held the doorknob to open the door, the bell rang. I flung open the door, thinking it was Stace and hugged whoever was standing at the door.

"What a warm welcome." I heard a guy. I looked up to see a familiar face and the name came in my head right after. Edwin Miler. Why was he standing at my doorstep? His hands stayed in the air as he looked at me with a playful smirk on his face, which I couldn't comprehend for a nanosecond. Wasn't he supposed to scowl or give a death stare? His cold leather jacket sent chills down my spine and I hurriedly let go of the edges of his jacket that I was gripping onto. I practically buried my face in his broad chest and he was smirking.

I moved back and wiped away my tears.

"Let's go inside." He suggested.

"No!" I retorted almost immediately which made him raise a brow.

"I mean... Who are you and why should I let you in?" I asked.

"Edwin Miler and I don't expect you to enjoy getting threatened in the street, so get inside the house." He said rudely and pushed me inside the house that I had just escaped.