Chapter 36

It didn't take long for mom to come back up with a truffle sitting in the centre of the tray and two dessert spoons.

She sat down on the bed, covering her legs with the duvet and seating the plate in front of me," I feel exhausted." She muttered under her breath.

Mom and dad weren't the type to whine about their work stress to me, no matter how heavy the load was. I did the same. I never whined about my studies. We just didn't want to destroy the harmony by worrying each other. We had each other's trust. We were a perfect family.

"I haven't spent so much time with you in a while." I said while taking a bite.

"I know honey, work doesn't allow it. But we have the night to ourselves. How about a movie?" She smiled. I could see her eyes glisten under the light of the bed lamp.

"I have school tomorrow. Besides, you just said you were exhausted." I said.

"Yeah, right." She nodded in agreement and looked here and there while biting her lips.

"Mom, what is it?" I asked, knowing that she wanted to say something.

"Oh, no just- Honey, you know we love you," she squeezed my hand," Is something going on recently?"

"Wh-What? What's going on?" I joked.

"You know, I feel you haven't been yourself. You seem lost in something, like you're disturbed about something." She said.

"I'm completely fine, mom. I was just worried for dad." I said, even though I knew she didn't believe me when she frowned questioningly. Who forgets to turn off the toaster and almost set the house on fire?

"Mom, I know you're worried. But I'm really okay."

"Alright, you should go to bed now." She said getting up from the bed. She soon disappeared from the doorway, leaving the door open.

"You could've closed the doo-" I sighed when the door shut on its own, slowly.

"Thank...you... Air?" I felt dumb to utter those three words.

Three words.

The third word.

Ethan's death.

"Snap out of it, Gwen." I said, stopping the train of thoughts in my head.