Chapter 95

"I was only living my life. What did I do wrong?" Ethan looked devastated, knowing the reason why he was brutally murdered by his own dad.

"You never understood that man's intentions all the years you lived with him? He groomed you to become the perfect heir but you backstabbed him by saying you're not interested. You crushed his ambitions. Your 'tantrums' were getting on his nerves. You...yourself proved that you're useless now. You were so dumb!" Edwin barely said between sobs.

I sat bewildered, hearing them talk. That was the kind of life those two brothers lived in that huge mansion. It was not a life of luxury. Behind those beautiful marble walls, they were tormented each day. They were 'molded' and 'groomed' in a certain way so that they could be assets to their dad's business.

They weren't treated as humans.

"I did not want to die."

"Hell you didn't! But can you do anything to that fuckface?! He's going to do the same to me the day I decline his orders. That's how...he killed mom."

I lifted my head to face Edwin. Oh...my god.

"Can you set me free?" Edwin asked his brother," I don't want to die the way you did."

"What do you want me to do?" Ethan asked his little brother. He always loved Edwin, no matter how harshly Edwin spoke to him and disregarded him as his elder brother. Even then, he was willing to do whatever Edwin wanted for a good cause.

"Please kill dad." Edwin begged.

"I can't kill anyone even if they're someone who killed me."

"You're a fucking ghost! Just kill him! Who's even going to catch you?"

"You're becoming like him." Ethan said plainly.

"What?"

"If you harm Gwen or Elijah or anyone else...I won't spare you." He warned his brother.

"You're going to tell me what to do? You can't even avenge yourself." Edwin scoffed, but not happily.

"I won't do anything that will cause Elijah harm because I'm in his body." Ethan said.

"Oh? Okay. And what will you do now?" Edwin chuckled," You know he killed you. But now? You'll just leave right?" Even though he was laughing, I could sense the pain in his voice.

None of us wanted Ethan to leave. Not even Edwin.

It was also true that Ethan never stayed to take revenge. He stayed to know who killed him and why. He had found that out. Even if he wanted to stay, he wouldn't be able to. Then, my instincts kicked in. I was quiet all that time while they talked. And for me especially, for us, the time was running out.

Now it was my turn. I wasn't going to regret for the third time.

"Ethan...I have to tell you something." I stood up. I clenched my fists on the sides," I've wanted to say this forever. But I couldn't dare to."

Ethan switched his cold gaze to a warm one as he looked at me.
"I know this isn't the right time...but I feel if I don't do this now, I'll regret it for life." I stepped closer to him slowly and stopped near the flames, but they immediately died down as Ethan allowed me to come even closer to him.

My heart, my lungs, my stomach, my voice, everything in my body was losing control.

I was a step away from him, again. The last time, he had prevented me from saying it. Maybe it was because he knew I would be hurt after confessing to him...because he couldn't stay.
But I didn't care. Three words were all I had to say, to tell him how much I loved and cared for him. Just three words could express every heartbeat of mine which was only for him. Just three words could tell him that I was in so much pain when my favorite person in billions had left.

I looked into his eyes. His expression never changed. The look in his eyes was making me go insane with happiness.

I have my chance now.

"Ethan I've always...loved you." I closed my eyes tightly as I said those words. I did it. My stomach summersaulted because of the sudden silence.

The silence was deafening. I wanted to open my eyes and see his reaction, but I was scared. What if he looked sad? I couldn't see him looking at me that way. I would die instantly. That's how I felt.

A chilly wind hit my face and pushed my hair back. I, very slowly, opened my eyes to find Ethan inching towards me. Even the little gap between us was closed. The tip of his shoe touched mine. Even though it was still Elijah I was seeing, I was able to feel the emotions, the love that I felt towards Ethan, just by knowing that it was Ethan's soul inside Elijah.

"I've known it...always." Ethan finally said and I felt his hand slip into mine. He touched me.

It was too much for me to take in. With all of those things going on and me finally saying the words I had wanted to scream out a million times, it was simply overwhelming. He always knew I liked him. Maybe, he noticed me earlier too. I was stupid. I was my worst enemy.

"Can I--" I sobbed," Can I please hug you?" I knew I couldn't stop him from leaving for real this time. I just wanted to make the best of that moment, that last moment.
"Please..." I cried even more. He cupped my face between his cold palms and softly brush his thumbs against my cheeks to wipe away the tears. As I looked up at him, his head was lowered and on his face was the most beautiful smile I had ever seen.

Light illuminated from his face, which didn't look like Elijah's anymore. It was Ethan's face. I could see whole of Ethan. His bright fingers were as light as a feather on my face.

He looked heavenly.

I forgot how to blink. I simply didn't want to waste even a nano second in blinking. I only had little time left with him.

"I don't want to forget you!" I cried out when he kept looking at me. I wanted to feel his touch so that I could always remember him as a living person, not as a spirit. I didn't know if he would understand my motive and I was too broken to say it out loud.

"And I don't want you to forget me." I said again. Deep down, I wanted to ask what I was to him.

Would he even remember me? Maybe he would, but as what? A friend or someone who just helped him? Or just...Gwen Smith from class 12-1?

"Gwen Smith of class 12-1," He spoke in a very gentle tone," who's the most helpful, kind hearted... and beautiful girl I've ever seen. That's how I will remember you."

He could read my mind and it wasn't even surprising, with all the events that had taken place so far.

Then why don't you hug me right now?  I thought.

With a smile, he slowly pecked on my lips.

 A/N

I'm so sorry for updating so late :(( Slowly the story is coming to an end but I have a surprise for you all!

With the next chapter, I will be publishing my THIRD story titled 'Your Fault' 

I will publish Characters and Chapter 1 along with the next chapter of The Third Word.

If you would like, I can publish the new story's chapters in BULK as I have written until chapter 15 or something. I really hope you will enjoy Your Fault as much as your enjoyed The Third Word <3