Chapter 44

We drove past a huge metal gate, guarded by four men. As the car drove through the driveway, the huge villa in front of us, built of Red Lyons Sandstone glittered with dim, golden lights emitting from inside.

It was surrounded by the most god-awful-looking picket fence I'd ever seen. It was a big villa, the kind in which most American kids dreamt of growing up. It was wired with cameras, security lighting, and motion sensors.

Outside were columns and friezes and arched windows twenty feet high. The courtyard was weed-choked.

"Edwin please-" I begged as he tried to pull me out of the car but I revolted to go inside the house with him.

"Don't fight me. I don't mean much harm to you."

He could cut me into pieces and no one would ever know.

"Let go of my hand!" I kicked him in the gut, shut the door and locked it. I could see him rage at me putting up a fight with him. I wasn't sane, but I wasn't dumb too. I was very much sane to understand what was harmful for me.

Why did I even take his help, knowing what he did to his brother in school that day?

A loud thud caught my attention. The car's window was damaged like a big rock was thrown on it, but I missed the blood on the window which I noticed the very next moment, when Edwin punched the window with his bare fist again.

At this point, he'll break it!

"Open the fucking door!" I heard him clear enough through the closed windows.

I couldn't make him madder than that, if I wanted to return in one piece. I rolled the window down but it was stuck because of the irregular surface.

He stuck his hand in and unlocked the door.

"Don't test my patience." He stood with the door opened for me. I shuffled out of the seat and got off the car. I shuddered when he banged the door close behind me. Every second, I expected a blow on my head from behind.

"Is there a need to drag?" He questioned. I shook my head bluntly, not able to make eye contact with him and before I knew, I was walking towards the front door that could accommodate a family of giraffes.

A man dressed in black opened the big door for me, that I doubted I could open by myself. Edwin's steps were relaxed behind me as the doors closed.

"Sit down." He ordered and I stifled my way to the big chocolate, leather couch that sat in the middle of the big hall.

From the corner of my eyes, I looked at the carpeted stairs that went straight up to the second floor. Polished wood floors and a graceful banister curved up toward a soaring second floor gallery.

"You said, Wait," He paused as he neared me and I stung back to the couch, trying to move as far as I could from him as he narrowed the gap between us.