Chapter 89

Elijah had been acting differently since we started going back to school. He insisted on dropping me home and picking me up from school. I didn't really understand why, but it was definitely not because we were getting close. I wasn't stupid to think that. He was hiding something, or maybe wanted to tell me something back in the store room but couldn't say it. I didn't get a chance to bring that up again and ask him because we were busy with school.

Mom and dad had left for the town to help grandma pack and move to our house. It felt nice to be alone at home once again. The more lonely I was, the more I talked to Ethan about life and felt like he was listening. It felt good. I was happy. But at night, I would cry and miss him. At night, realization would slap me hard, that he wasn't there and I was actually going crazy.

10th January

"I will bring Kelly out now. Please...hide anything fancy or she might want to have it." Kelly's mom got to her feet and I nodded with understanding. I wasn't really wearing or carrying anything that she might find 'fancy' so I looked at Elijah, who was also not cracking a nerve.

He shrugged when I looked at him and I nodded again, then breathed out heavily when I heard the sound of the wheels approaching the hall that we were seated in.

Kelly's mother was right behind her little girl dressed in a plain blue dress. Kelly passed me a smile as she seemed to have recognized me from before.

Once Kelly settled on the sofa opposite to the one Elijah and I sat on, I looked at her mother with expectant eyes to leave us alone but she didn't budge.

"Well..." I began," Mrs. Williams...could you step out for a bit. It won't take us long." I reassured her in the nicest way possible. I knew she didn't want to leave her daughter with complete strangers, although I did tell her that Mrs. Marie Frost had sent us.

"I'm sorry for listening in but I can't help it. I need to make sure she doesn't get seizures." Her mother said considerately.

I was taken by surprise. I never knew she had seizures.

But that didn't mean we could just talk to her daughter about seeing a spirit right in front of her. I furrowed my eyebrows at Elijah, like telling him I didn't know how to go ahead with it and a little help was much appreciated.

He closed his eyes and nodded simultaneously.

"Don't worry about it." He told her mother, but I felt like he was reassuring me.

He crouched on his knee in front of Kelly," Hi Kelly. My name is Elijah." he introduced himself with a smile.

At that moment, I could only think of one person. The incident of Ethan helping that little girl in front of school that day replayed in my head. Every time I thought of him, my eyes would soften and get watery. It was as if he was a stimulus for my eyes to well up with tears.

Starlight. I miss you.

"Are you her boyfriend?" Kelly's question in her innocent tone snapped me out of my thoughts.

"I'm her friend. I can be your friend too. Do you want to be my friend?" He asked her.

"No, I want you to be my boyfriend." She retorted.

"Kelly, that's not the way." Her mother spoke but Kelly didn't pay much heed.

"It's alright Mrs. Williams." Elijah said," So, Kelly, how about this? You answer a few questions and I'll be your boyfriend."

"Back then she did the same thing but didn't give me red pens and chocolates!" Kelly pointed at me and I suddenly felt attacked by the words of a kid.

"I- W-well I forgot...I mean I'm sorry Kelly." I apologized and looked down at my feet with embarrassment.