Chapter 88

Elijah

1st January 

Home-

Dad was downstairs preparing dinner since it was his turn to cook. I was debating whether I should call Gwen or not. Even though I had dropped her right in front of her house, I felt the urge to check up on her at least once before heading to bed. 

What if she went out with family? Or what if she didn't close her windows?

"It isn't that late, so she won't mind if I just called and asked." I told myself and called her.

She answered after a few rings. I hadn't even decided how to ask or what to ask.

"Hey." She said. I could hear loud TV noises.

"Are you home?" I asked.

"Yes, with my parents. Why?" She asked.

"Just uh...are you coming to school tomorrow?" I asked.

"I'll have to. I can't miss classes anymore. I'm already falling behind." She answered and I nodded to myself, then stopped because I was beating around the bush instead of getting to the point.

What are you doing Elijah?

I internally questioned myself before saying what I had to say," Make sure to lock your window. Good night."

I immediately hung up and threw my phone aside.

"She won't think it was weird, would she?" I asked myself," Damn, even if she does, it's for her safety. She might not know it yet...and why we've been so protective of her since the days when she was in the hospital."  

"Eli!" Dad called out for dinner so I jumped out of bed and went downstairs.

I took a seat at the dining and dad served food for both of us and settled down.

Halfway through eating and discussing about life, we landed on the topic we didn't want to discuss anytime soon, since we were taking a break from everything.

"Don't leave her out alone." Dad said.

"That doesn't mean nothing will happen to you." I said.

"She's the most vulnerable and an easy target out of all three of us." Dad made a point.

"And you're main in this whole thing. If anything happens to you, Gwen and I won't be able to do anything on our own." I said, still implying that he couldn't be careless.

"I'm not saying I'm safe. At this point, anything can happen to anyone of us." He said.

"Do you think Mrs. Frost will be alright?" I asked.

"She's the least involved. Besides, she's moved houses so I don't think so." He said, taking the last bite of his pasta.

"Dad."

"Yeah? What?" He asked.

"Will we ever be able to go back to our normal life?" I asked.

"Don't tell me you regret now." He sighed.

"I don't. I'm just wondering when we'll be able to put an end to this." I said.

"Hopefully, soon. Seeing how the media is influencing public, the public's on our side. Yet, in order to win a case, we need valid evidences and witnesses. Even if the judge won't believe the plain bullshit Howard Miler says, he cannot pass his judgement based on what he thinks is true. He needs proof." 

I stayed silent. Winning the case seemed impossible. The proof that we had was not enough.

"Eli."

"Yes?" I asked as he looked at me seriously.