Chapter 74

"Did you speak to Ethan?" He asked.

"Yes. He told me that he doesn't remember the third word and the reason why he couldn't see his killer." I answered.

"That's nice. I've been thinking hard on what the third word was." He muttered.

"What did Mr. Cooper say?" I asked.

"Right," He adjusted in his seat and cleared his throat," You need to help us by getting closer to Edwin."

"Is he the suspect?" I asked immediately.

"Yes, he is." He answered with seriousness.

I shivered at the thought of 'getting closer to Edwin.'

"You see, he abducted, threatened and even sneaked into your house for whatever reasons, but it's a criminal offence. We won't charge him as of now so that we can spy on him more and you...will be our spy." He explained.

I nodded but didn't say anything as he continued," And he seems quite interested in you, which is the best reason to let you do this job."

I had to get close to him to find out whether he committed the crime or not and what exactly happened in their house that night.

"Does that mean I...have to go to the prom with him?" I asked.

"Unfortunately yes," He said," But, you don't have to let him do whatever he wants to. Just treat him like you don't hate him."

"I got it." I asserted to which he looked at me in surprise," You...agree to do this?" He asked.

"I know the Gwen you know wouldn't agree without some heated argument." I chuckled," I'm just doing whatever I can for Ethan."

"Thank you."

I looked around hastily," Did you hear him?" I asked Elijah and he shook his head.

"He's here?" He asked.

"He just thanked me." I smiled as I stood up. I was the only one who could hear him.

"Gwen," Elijah spoke," I want to warn you about this." he stood up.

"About what?" I asked.

"Don't let your guard down around Edwin," He swallowed," He might be the killer."

I couldn't say anything. I didn't know what to say. Edwin might or might not have killed his own brother. I knew he was a jerk, but not a total nut-job to have killed someone, leave alone his own brother. But, sometimes people might do the unthinkable. You never know.

I walked back home right after that and started looking for the bag which Edwin had left for me. I remembered sliding it under the bed and found it there. I couldn't believe myself for dressing up and going to the prom after knowing that my grandpa was on the verge of death and my parents had been driving without rest. I hadn't even called them to ask where they'd reached.

One thing that I knew for sure was that I had met a different version of myself in the past one month- A selfish and heartless bitch.

Gone were the days when I never hid anything from my parents and thought about nothing but studies. The old Gwen Smith had been erased. Her values, judgement, even her existence were gone.

How was I even different from Ethan?

I was a soul myself.

Once I was dressed up and done with very light make up, which I had done for the first time, I checked my phone. I sighed at the text notification from Edwin.