Chapter 67

"Shit!" I exclaimed," I've understood." Since I was wearing the T-shirt, Ethan couldn't approach me even outside the house. I didn't know Holy Water could be so effective on spirits.

I got up and ran to my room but remembering that I had to throw the T-shirt and bottle outside first, I ran back down and grabbed a garbage-bag from the kitchen cabinet and packed the two items inside," I'll get rid of you." I said, looking at the black polybag and hurried out of the door to dispose it in the bin outside the front-yard.

I don't think I had ever been angry on any human more than that bottle.

I brushed the dust off my hands with satisfaction as I stood in front of the bin, when the street was lit by a pair of headlights of dad's car as he parked it opposite to the house.

"What are you doing outside?" he asked as he got his things from the car and walked towards the door. I followed up close, thinking it was my chance to ask him about the bottle.

"Did you keep Holy Water in the attic?" I asked as we entered the house.

"What?" He asked while taking off his shoes," I had no idea."

"Is it right to dispose it?" I asked.

"You threw it in the bin?" He asked in surprise.

"It was empty. The water is spilled in the attic." I reasoned.

He didn't say anything to me afterwards and just went to his room to charge his laptop with the new charger and continue his work. Meanwhile I went upstairs and slipped into the shower. Knowing that the Holy Water was gone and Ethan could come back in again in a few days, I sighed with relief. I scrubbed my body vigorously, making sure I didn't have a bit of the Holy Water on me and shampooed my hair twice.

The shower was running over my head and my eyes were tightly shut to prevent water from entering my eyes. The droplets were like drums, beating over my ears and yet, I managed to hear a sound of something sliding open. But it was just a loud rumble and I couldn't be certain. I closed the shower and waited for any sound to come but when I didn't hear it again, I was convinced that I mistook some random sound in the street for something else.

With the towel wrapped around me, I left the bathroom, but when I was rubbing my feet dry on the door-mat, my eyes fell on a paper-bag kept on my bed.

"What the..." I looked around the room, checking behind the curtains and door, hoping that whoever put it there wasn't inside my room anymore. When I stood at my door and peeped downstairs, I heard the sound of a car ignition coming from the street. 

I hurried to the window and my jaw dropped at the sight of Edwin's white Eco Sport. He seemed to have seen me easily as he rolled down the window and waved at me, before driving away. 

I didn't notice my chest moving up and down restlessly. I rushed to the drawer where I kept my anxiety pills and popped one in my mouth. I looked around for water but the flask that I usually kept on the bedside table was empty. Having no other option, I gulped the pill down without water and fell back on the floor. I had no idea why having a ghost around me didn't give me an anxiety attack, but knowing that Edwin sneaked into my house and had probably been there since a long time did.

I had developed a fear inside me. I was afraid of him. 

My attention was diverted to the bag that he had left on the bed. I literally crawled towards the bed and tossed the contents out from the bag. A delicate maroon dress and a jewellery box fell out, with a sticky note on it.

I took off the note to read it :

I know you'll look pretty in this dress. If you want me to stop scaring you, stop avoiding me and be free around me like you are with others. Hence, I'm asking you to be my prom date tomorrow night. 

"Fu- Fucki-ng douchebag." I stuttered. I was still breathless. I pulled the duvet over me and sat glaring at the dress, sitting with my knees folded. I grabbed a handful of the duvet, attempting to dig my fingers inside and rip it open. But I couldn't care less, since I finally knew what he wanted- a forced 'hey' and a smile whenever I saw him.

He didn't know that I had no problem with him but his behavior and unless he didn't act like a short-tempered runaway from a mental hospital and beat me up, we were good. I rather pitied him more than he pitied himself for losing his brother. 

But that was about the past.

The present me was afraid of him.

"I wonder if Ethan can help me." I said, staring out of the window. I was sure the Holy Water wasn't on me, which meant if I went outside and called for him, he'd come.