04

Ruth Foster

Ruth Foster

My eyelids flutter open, and instantly scan my surroundings quickly. I don't remember much about last night. I remember Grace, I remember the party, I remember the van, and then being in it. Anything after that, is a blur. I don't remember why I passed out, or how I ended up in this room.

"Good, you're awake," She speaks.

I blink a few times, mainly a way to see if this is real or not. I pray in my mind, begging that it isn't, but sadly, it is. I shift around on the bed that I'm in, and jolt up to find a tall, dark brown haired, amber eyed girl standing from across the room.

"Breakfast is ready," She continues, "Your friend won't be able to join us this morning. If you ever want to see her again, you'll come," She says. I have no friends, never did. All I have is my cousin.

"You mean Emily?" I raise an eyebrow, and question her, "What have you done with her? And what do you mean if I ever want to see her again? Who are you? Where am I?" I get up from the bed, and move closer towards the woman, "Tell me."

She stands frozen in front of me like a statue, her face emotionless, "Like I said. If you ever want to see your friend again, you'll come down," She repeats what she said to me before, "Be there."

I open my mouth to ask another question, but she walks out before I do, and closes the door.

The door opens again, but this time it's another woman entering. She's different looking than the other one. She's an older African American woman. Her eyes are dark brown, and her hair is in a nice puffy black afro. She's wearing a maids outfit. I'm afraid to ask for help, but she looks genuine. I wonder what her story is, and why she's here.

I wonder why I'm here.

"Excuse me?" I speak, "Where am I?"

She doesn't speak back. Instead she moves towards the bed where I was laid up, and begins to make it neatly, "I asked you a question," I move to her.

"Hello?" I wave my hand, "Please." It comes out as a beg, but she doesn't budge. She continues to make the bed, "I was taken. Me and my cousin, we were kidnapped. I don't deserve to be here. Tallish, brunette hair, nice smile. Have you seen her?"

Her eyes find mine, then she turns her attention back to the bed, "I can't help you," Her voice is low, in a whisper, "Whatever she asks, do it. If you want to live, and if you want your cousin to live, do it."

She finishes up making the bed, and walks to the door. She stops, and turns before leaving, "Madam will be waiting for you downstairs. There's a bathroom at the end of the hall, freshen up, do whatever you need to do," She proceeds to leave.