43

Ruth Foster

Ruth Foster

"Is it a real diamond?"

"Of course it's real. My sister isn't cheap, and if you asked Ruth that question near her, you'd get a bullet to your head," Adonis answers back, annoyance lacing his tone as he speaks to her.

Emily scoffs, "Yeah, well I wasn't asking you."

"Are you really going to act like a child?"

"You're a cunt," Emily retorts, "And a bitch."

"You weren't saying that when you were . . ."

Their voices drown out in the background as I stare at the ring on my finger. My wedding ring, one that I didn't ask for, nor did I even need. I think our relationship was well established without the ring, and now? I'm wearing an almost ten thousand dollar ring, who the hell spends that much?

I woke up this morning to an empty bed, no Orion. I did what I normally did, I went to the bathroom, spoke to Anne, asked her where Orion was, and all she could do was stare at my left hand, at my ring finger, which was right where the ring was.

I was so focused on finding her, that I didn't even notice it at first, but now that I do, I can't stop.

"I can't accept this," I speak out.

"You don't have a choice," Emily responds, "And plus, I know you refuse to take shit from people, but it's your wedding ring. You're entitled to one."

"Yeah, one. This ring is worth the price of about five, at most." I reply, "Ten thousand is too much."

But on the other hand, the ring is beautiful. She truly does know me. It's a white gold ring with a fancy Cognac colored diamond in the middle of it, and tiny diamonds all around the base. I'm pretty sure I can even see it sparkle. It's stunning.

"It's penny change to her," Adonis shrugs, and takes a bite out of his sandwich, "I told you she was pussy whipped," Adonis turns to Emily, "Pay up."

"You guys put a bet?" I raise an eyebrow, taking my eyes off the ring for a split second, "Seriously?"

Emily nods, "It's all love, Ruth."

I Roll my eyes at her before I continue to stare at my ring. I don't know how long I can stay here. Convincing Amiri to drive me here was a struggle, but he eventually agreed. I still don't know where Orion is, and I don't want to ask. All I can do is hope for her safety, hope that she returns back.