13

Orion King

Orion King

I make it my mission to avoid Ruth for the next couple of weeks. I already screwed up when I told her about Elle, and now I wouldn't want her thinking I'm her friend, or worse, that I actually care about her, and her feelings. I don't, at all.

In my life, caring is what get you killed.

Ruth's father cared for her mother, and look how she ended up. Because of that hurt he felt when she died, because he cared for her so much that he mourned her over everything, it got him killed. Her father was an idiot, and I'm not. I don't care.

I haven't slept well since we've been home. I waited days for her to get better before bringing her back here, and since then, I haven't slept by her side.

I don't want to, and I shouldn't.

I rub my temple, and groan as I raise the glass to my lips, instantly tasting the bittersweet taste enter my mouth, "It's only eight in the morning," I look up to find Ruth standing awkwardly inside my office. I didn't notice her before, how long has she been here? I wouldn't know, my thoughts consume me, my thoughts of her consume me. It's pathetic.

"I know how to tell time," I reply harshly.

She nods, "I have a request."

"Of course you do," I motion for her to shut the door, and come take a seat, which she hesitantly does. Is she still scared of me? I shouldn't be surprised, but she slept besides me, played with my hair. I expected this to lighten things up between us, show her that I'm sometimes more than a devil.

"You told me before that I'd have one day to say goodbye to Martha," Her voice soft, and fragile. I also don't understand why some old lady means so much to her, "I just wanted to know when I could."

"Amiri can take you later," I answer.

She lets out a sigh of relief, "Thank you, Ry."

"I told you not to call me that," I reply back, "Don't make me change my mind about going. I will."

Ruth smiles, "Right. I'm sorry, I just—It suits you."

I know she's referring to the nickname, so I don't say anything else. I raise the glass to my lips again.

Her eyes stay on me, on my lips. "Did you need anything else?" I raise an eyebrow at her.

"Yes," her head nods, "Just another request."

"Well then, speak." I respond, watching her shoulders tense up. Has she always been this uptight, and tense? She seems like the type of girl who's never done anything wrong. Decent grades, but somehow she dropped out of college? Weird.