06

Ruth Foster

Ruth Foster

"Thank you, Anne," I thank the same woman from earlier. The African American one who wears the maid outfit, and smile, "How long have you—"

"Madam says I'm not allowed to talk to you," She coughs out, "It wouldn't be wise to. She said she'd have my head if I uttered a word to you. You're welcome for the clothes. Just do what I said, and you'll be fine," Is all she says back, and walks out.

I can't be okay with this. How can I be? I'm being held against my will, and I'm not even sure if Emily is still alive. Everything Orion told me could all just be one big lie. I can't trust a word she says. At all.

The door knocks, "Come in," I call out.

I take a seat on the edge of the bed, expecting it to be Anne returning to hand me more pairs of clothes, but it isn't. Orion walks in, and stands.

"You will accompany me tomorrow."

I nod, knowing I have no choice, "To where?"

"Doesn't matter. I expect you to be up early," She responds, "And dressed appropriately. No silk dresses that show your—You know what I mean."

I nod again, "Your wish is my every command."

"Don't say that," She scoffs. "And if you ever call me ma'am again, I will slit your throat," There's not a doubt in my mind that she'll do it. I know she would, but the thought about it doesn't scare me. It's what she'll do to Emily that scares me. She's here because of me, and she's possibly dead because of me too. The thought hurts my heart.

"Right," I respond. Minutes pass and she doesn't say anything else, but stands there. It's weird.

"Are you going to watch me like this every day?" I ask. "It's creepy, and not creepy in a good way."

"You can be creepy in a good way?" She raises an eyebrow, "That's new," Think of it this way, horror movies, Halloween, and clowns. All creepy, in good ways. I'm not crazy. Orion is creepy, in a bad way.

"You only ate a croissant today."

I know what I ate, but I thought she didn't care? It seems like she does. Of course she does, she can't marry me if I die of hunger. "Right," I reply.

"I—um, Do you want a salad?" She asks.

"No," I shake my head, "I'm not in the mood."

"You have to eat something," She says back.

I shrug, "I can't eat knowing my cousin is out there somewhere, possibly dead. I just can't." It makes me want to throw up, imagining her dead.