24

Ruth Foster

Ruth Foster

This day has been filled with nothing but rehearsals for the wedding. It still shocks me how much money this woman has. I watched her swipe her card for a ten thousand dollar catering bill, without blinking an eye. Compared to me, Orion is relaxed. Years ago, I couldn't even imagine walking down a wedding aisle, now I have to. On the bright side, things between us have been better lately.

She told me the truth about my father. Her father killed mine, and I should hate her for it, but I don't find it necessary, or fair to blame her for her father's actions, even though he ruined my life.

I believe in second chances, and do-overs. This is hers. "How many people are going to be attending this thing?" I raise an eyebrow at her, "I think this would be a good time to tell you that I hate being in the presence of large crowds. Absolutely hate."

We're standing in the middle of our wedding venue. Atticus thought it would be a good idea to get familiar with the setting, just to know what to expect on the day of. It's plain now, but he assured us that there'd be flowers, and lights. I don't know what to expect, honestly. This all still feels surreal.

"Relax, princess. All you're required to do is walk down the aisle, and say I do. If you want to ditch the reception together, then we can do that. If you haven't noticed, people aren't my thing," She smiles back at me, "But, I'll make an exception for you."

"We can't ditch. You're spending a shit load on the reception," I point out, "Plus, everyone's going to be there for you. Your brothers. Your friends."

"I don't have friends. As for my brothers, they're going to be there for their own benefit. Important people are going to be attending the wedding, Ruth. I personally could care less. If you want to ditch, then that's what we'll do. You're my important person," Her words burn holes in me.

I nod, "Okay."

"Lovebirds, break it up," Atticus cuts our conversation short, by dragging me out of the venue, ranting to me about how it's unlucky for the people getting married, to be speaking so soon.

"I think that only applies when it's actually the wedding day, you know? It's like karma to see the bride in the wedding dress before walking down the aisle. The wedding is in two weeks. I'm pretty sure karma won't get us," I tell him, "But okay." I don't argue with him and his logic, instead I listen.

He puts me on tasks to do, multiple ones, all tasks that make sure that I have no time to see Orion. I see what he's doing, and I understand. "You don't like me very much. I can see it in your eyes," It's clear he doesn't, but why not? I've done nothing.