53

Ruth Foster

Ruth Foster

Don't act recklessly, Ruth. Think logically. Don't attack him alone, because trust me, you'll lose.Think with your head, not your heart. Your heart will tell you to hurt him for daring to betray Orion, but your head, will tell you to play the long game. The long game always works out in the end.

"The long game always works out in the end," I mumble to myself what Elle said to me, "Don't think with your heart, think with your head. Win."

I can hear Emily, "Don, she's going crazy. I heard grief can do this to people, make them zombies."

"She's not a zombie, Emily." Adonis replies, "She's upset. The fucker killed Orion. He's going to die."

"We're not going to kill him," I speak.

Adonis's voice raises, "We're not going to kill him? He killed Orion, and gets to live to tell the tale?"

"I never said he'd go unpunished," I respond.

"Fuck that," Adonis yells, "Orion is dead. She was my sister. I get to decide what to do, to avenge her."

I stand up from my seat, "She was my wife," My voice raises at him, "I loved her just as much as you did, so don't act like it was all a lie. I loved her, and as much as I love Orion, I'm not going to listen to what my heart wants to do. I'm listening to my head, which is telling me to keep him alive."

Adonis chuckles, "And I'm just supposed to listen to you? Orion is dead, Ruth. The only hold you had, was on her. I don't have to listen to shit you say."

"But you will," Rucifer chimes in, "Atticus has betrayed us all, Adonis. It's not just you who feels cheated, and hurt. Ruth hurts more than us, she loved Orion. We loved her too, but let's be honest, she was there when Orion died. You and I both know what it's like to watch someone die, and the toll it takes on you, especially someone you love."

That shuts Adonis up, and me as well. I'm being treated like glass again. "I want Atticus at the warehouse. He doesn't know that we know he was the one who killed Orion, and I'd like to keep it that way. Once he's there, I want guards on him. I want him taken to the room where Elle was held. I want the guards to know that if they moved her body, to put her back in there. I don't care what it takes, just get her back in there." I make my strict orders.

I point to Adonis, "Hand me your phone."

He does as asked, not questioning me. Once I have his phone, I click on Atticus's contact, and call him.