15

Orion King

Orion King

I ignore her again for another few weeks. I knew she was someone who believed in happiness, and miracles, but hearing her admit it out loud, did something to me. Made me feel guilt, but I'm not human. I don't feel like any other human does, I don't love like any other human does, so it's not fair to call myself one. Ruth. She's too innocent.

Too pure, and too human. Her emotions aren't something I should play with, and I've already overstepped by letting her touch me, play with my hair, and I definitely overstepped when I grabbed her waist. Each time I close my eyes, I see her.

Blonde hair, plump lips, small waist. The only way I've been able to fall asleep these past few weeks, was to the thought of her. I haven't felt like this in a long time, and I would hate to. I can't afford to.

I smack my gun across his face, "Tell me again,"

"I don't know," he groans from the pain, "Please, I told you I didn't know." I know he doesn't know. I already got the address from another one of Petrova's henchmen, but I just find this fun.

"Try again," I smack him once more.

The door opens, and my youngest brother appears. Adonis, he's only eighteen. Same age as Emily, which is why I give him the task of watching her.

I'd be surprised if he hasn't gotten her in bed yet— consensually of course, he's a murderer, but not an asshole. "Nice of you to grace me with your presence," I scowl at him, "You were supposed to be here hours ago," I make a point to remind him.

"Relax, sis," Adonis rolls his eyes and takes a look at the man sitting in the chair, tied up, and bloody. He smiles up at me, "You got 'em good, Orion."

"Don't I always?" I shrug, "How's the girl?"

Adonis takes out his own weapon, and walks up towards the man in the chair. I don't know his name, and I don't make it a priority to. All I know is that he's Petrova's henchman, and that I need—want to kill him. "She's annoying," Adonis traces his gun around the frame of the henchman's face.

He admires my handiwork, "Glad you invited me to play. Isn't Atticus your favorite?" He questions.

"I don't have favorites," I hide my smile.

"Sure you do. It's Atticus, so why am I here, and he's not?" One thing about Adonis, he's not stupid.

Because I feel guilt. "He was busy," I lie instead.

Adonis takes a look at the henchman, and then places the gun at his forehead. He fires his weapon once, instantly killing him. "He was really depressing to look at," Adonis apologizes to me, then shrugs. "Whatever's going on between you two, end it. You and I both know that our rivalries end in death." He's not wrong, and I know it well.

Atticus and I aren't officially fighting, but I've been avoiding him, and he knows it. He's my brother, my favorite one, and he knows me better than anyone. I betrayed him when I took Rucifer's offer. If he doesn't know it now, he will soon. "It won't end in death. Don't be dramatic, Adonis," I laugh at Adonis, and rub his dark curls with my hand.

"Speaking of Atticus," I feel my phone ding from my back pocket, and so I grab it, reading the first message that comes up. "They're here," I finish.

He nods, "Let the real fun begin, shall we?"

"You little instigator," I smack his head with my hand, and laugh, "Let's just get this over with."

• • •

She's tired, and I can tell.

Has she not been sleeping? I haven't either, but I expected her to. Does she need me by her side, the same way I'm starting to suspect that I need her?

"I figured out the warehouse where Petrova is storing the drugs, and cash. It's off Plymouth, on fourth. I need all three of you on board to infiltrate tonight, along with the others, if needed," I begin to speak, and explain to them the plan, "I imagine she has guards at the doors, heavy patrol, henchmen there, ready for our arrival. This isn't the time to be stupid, nor brave. You have one task, get the shit, and get out, I finish. Her eyes are on me. Ruth.

"Technically, that's two tasks," My idiot brother Adonis laughs. His sense of humor is quite terrible, and I'm holding back the urge to smack him.

"Since you want to be such a smartass, how about you sit out. Romeo will take your place," I roll my eyes at him, "This is the foolishness I can't have."

"Yes, jefe." Adonis sticks his middle finger up at me, a finger that I'm really tempted to break right now, but I keep my calm for now. The only reason I am, is because she's still staring at me, analyzing.

Ruth is technically apart of this. Not legally, but she's still going to be my wife, which means these meetings are mandatory for her. She's stuck.

After the meeting, I release them all. We'll come together again before we head out to get the drugs, but before then, I have hours to spare. I can go upstairs to my room, and get rest before having to potentially kill more people tonight, or, I can finally stop acting like a bitch, and go speak to her.

I knock twice on her door, "I'm coming in."

And I do. I turn the knob of the door, and open it to find her laying in bed, doing nothing. I need to get her books, magazines, anything. I can't have her bored. "You're not reading your mother's journal?" I remember the journal, and question her.

Her head shakes, "No. I read it already earlier, twice. I wanted to just rest now," I walk in fully.

"Is there something on your mind?" I shouldn't care, but I do. "I mean—did any one of them try anything?" I refer to my brothers, jackasses.

"What? No." Her eyebrows scrunch, "I'm fine."

She's clearly not feeling up to talk, and so I don't. I walk over, and lay down besides her. She's on the left side, like always. It's my turn to do something for her, and so I do what she does for me. I play in her hair, and slowly massage it with my fingers.

"This, Ruth. This is me being weak," I whisper.