30

Ruth Foster

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Ruth Foster

My child,

There comes a time in your life where nothing seems real. It may all seem fake, almost as if your living in your head, one big dream. For me, my marriage to your father was that dream. It all happened So quickly, too quickly. Falling in love with him took me by surprise, but it's by far the best thing that has ever happened to me. Falling in love with him, gave me you, and surely my death, will result in you later starting your own life without thinking of me, maybe even falling in love yourself. I can't tell what the future holds for you, but I can only imagine how it could go. You'll be like me. You'll be scared, you'll be frightened of everything, and you'll think you're weak. You are nothing of the sort. You're brave, and you're worth it all. My love, don't read my words and cry for me. I did that enough while I was alive. I once gave up on writing, told myself that I wasn't good enough, and why should I put so much effort into words, if they're just going to leave me utterly broken in the end? There was no point in it for me. Eric once found me crying on the floor, my journal in hand. I threatened to kill him if he read it. He knew I couldn't. It was an empty threat, so he took it and began reading. He took one look at me, and told me that he didn't fall in love with me for my beauty. He fell in love with me for my mind. I thought he was being kind, trying to ease my pain, and give me validation, but he wasn't. Life throws tomatoes at you, it throws curveballs, but you'll prevail. You got Eric's blood, and my mind. One day you'll fall in love with someone who appreciates you for who you are, and loves what you aren't.

Ruth. It means Companion; friend; vision of beauty. My beautiful child, you are everything, and more. Words cannot describe how much I love, and adore you. My death was always guaranteed, Ruth. No one lives forever. You won't. I didn't. But what lives forever, is our memories. How we utilized our time, and faced our troubles. My greatest gift was you. My greatest trouble, was living with the thought that I won't ever get to hold you in my arms, tell you how beautiful you are.

All my life, I thought my marriage to your father was the best thing that has ever happened to me. I was wrong. It was you.

Forever and always,
Your mother.

My eyes scan the page once more, and I dry my tears. I spent an hour rereading this, etching it into my brain. This is by far the best thing I have ever received from anyone, and I can't help but cry.

I take a look at myself in the mirror. The dress fits perfectly, and hugs my body in ways I didn't know existed. After all this time, it's happening. I'm getting married today, and I'm scared to death.

I fix the veil on top of my head, and dry my tears once more. I thought reading the letter again would give me strength, but it only makes me weak.