11

Orion King

Orion King

"I'm handling it, brother," I speak to Rucifer, the fourth oldest child. It's crazy to think about it. It was always Tobias, Me, Atticus, Rucifer, and then Adonis. It's crazy to imagine running this empire, without Tobias by my side. I miss him dearly.

Feelings, and weakness have no place when running an empire like ours. Our name is everything, and nothing else matters. I know that to successfully lead, that I must feel no pain, but lately, that's all I feel. The pain in losing someone I can say that I loved, and trust me, I rarely use the word. I don't love often, and those I do, die.

"Your wife is disappointing," he says.

I nod my head, and clench my teeth, "What is it with you and her? It seems like you have some—"

"I have no problem with the idiot you decided to engage, but I do have a problem with the family. Foster. Out of all the families in the underworld, you choose her. Why? I don't see what it is." I can understand his slight hesitance to accept Ruth, but I can't understand his disrespect towards her.

"Her name is Ruth, not idiot," I reply, "Who I choose to marry, is none of your business. Whether you like it or not, she will become my wife. If you object, then save it for the fucking wedding. Until then, I don't want to hear shit from your bitchass."

"Orion," he begins, "You always have been stupid. Father never would've wanted this. He would've wanted us to be feared, just like we were when he was alive. He would've wanted people to tremble at the sound of King, just like they did when he was alive. You say you want power so bad, and yet you don't utilize it. No one fears a woman. No one."

"Well, no one likes a bitter man," I retort.

"I'm not bitter, I'm honest. I'd go to war for you any day, but you must realize how stupid this marriage is. You're ruining that poor woman's life, for nothing. Ruth Foster, is only a Foster child by name. Her father was unstoppable, and feared, but she's not. She holds no power, no weight, and she offers us absolutely nothing. She's been shielded from our world her whole life, and her uncle made sure of that. He made sure to protect her, so I don't see why you feel the need to bring her in this life."

I rub my temple, "The sooner you accept that I'm going to marry her, the quicker this ends. I will not fight you on this, Rucifer. I'm going to marry her."

"Dragunov has a proposal. Let's hear him out,"

"Dragunov?" I can't help but laugh at him, "Since when have you turned your back on me, to get into bed with my enemy? You must be out of your goddamn mind, Rucifer. I should kill you for uttering his name." Men like Ilya can't stand rejection. I rejected his proposal, which means he'll want me dead, which makes him a threat, and my enemy. My brother knows this. I should slit his throat for even suggesting such a stupid idea.