chapter 48

a c t i v.
i am a raging sea trapped inside a raindrop.
━━ chapter xlvii.

◆◇◇

Bakugo knocked on the room door of the sick girl softly, calling out with the hot chicken soup in his hands. "Cheeks? You up?"

He didn't hear any answer from her, so he thought she was now asleep and resting. He sighed and walked into the room, examining it and seeing just how comfy it was for the girl to live in. His crimson, somewhat worried eyes darted to her sleeping form, which lay peacefully with dry tear marks on her cheeks.

The cheeks that were chubby, and what he picked up to nickname her after. The cheeks he wanted to pinch the life out of and tease her for, and the cheeks that puffed up when she filled food with to look like a squirrel or a quokka.

He put the soup onto her table," You little. I make this shit for you and you sleep. Such an ungrateful ass."

He placed his hand on her forehead, removing the now warm and dry cloth, and immediately redirected his hand back as soon as he did. Holy shit, she's burning like hell...

He took the cloth and dipped it in the water, She better thank me for taking care of her sorry ass later... He squeezed it and placed it on her forehead, glancing at the door with a bitter face on his look. Where the fuck did icy-hot go? Sheesh...

He turned his attention to the girl in front of him, and when he noticed how she wasn't covered with a blanket, he grunted again, face curling up in annoyance. He felt like pinching his forehead, "Goddamit, does icy-hot even know how to take care of sick people? For fuck's sake...." He unfolded it as peacefully as he could, and brought it up from the edge of her bed to her figure, covering her up until her upper chest, clicking his tongue in both annoyance and worry when he saw how her white blouse was sticking to her skin from her sweat.

She was sweating profusely, her chest rising up and resting several times in a second. Heavy breaths escaped her dry, chapped, and pale lips, and Bakugo could clearly tell she was in pain from her heavy breaths. Her lips were usually a soft pink, lightly glossy. 

He never figured out whether it was because she licked her lips often when she was excited, or because she would put lipgloss on her lips every morning. It was a different color on different days, and sometimes, when she and he would go out somewhere with the Bakusquad, she would wear a light shade of lipstick that would catch the attention of some strangers. He felt like wiping it off every time, an uncomfortable fire burning in his chest.

Her skin was pale, and her red hair strands were spread all over the pillow underneath her head. He had to look away from her lower body when he was putting on the blanket earlier, since her white blouse was becoming too soaked from her sweat, leaving him to see what she wore underneath - of course, he didn't. Did Todoroki look? Probably not, but if he did, he was gonna kill him later.

He raised his brow at her, seeing her head turn left and right as if she was having some sort of nightmare. He felt like placing his big hand on her somewhat big forehead again, to stop her head from moving, but removed that thought as soon as it came. She was mouthing a few words too, words he couldn't depict. She tries to speak in her sleep... His heart began to suddenly sting from pain, noticing just how pitiful and weak this girl was against a fever like this, and just how vulnerable she was in her sleep.

She forgets the reality she's facing when she sleeps...Is that why she stayed up these past few days? He wondered, thinking back to the conversation they were having during dinner later. Or was it because of some stress? Was it because of what I said? He hadn't, ever in his entire life, felt guilty about anything, but lately, it keeps occurring to him. He felt guilty for bullying Midoriya in the past, and now, he feels guilty for saying such harsh words to her.