chapter 9

a c t  i i.
i am a raging sea trapped inside a raindrop.
━━ chapter ix.

◆◇◇

Shizumi spared a glimpse at the sobbing Midoriya, a little happy for him. She was a little disappointed in herself on how she got overtaken by Todoroki and Bakugou earlier, but she wasn't in a place for lamenting. In her opinion, 4th place was actually very good.

The girl heard growling noises from her right, where she noticed Bakugou banging the ground like a child that had lost his toy, making her let out a small giggle. "Shizumi!" The said girl turned around to face Kirishima, who was trotting towards her as he waved his hand.

"I saw how you almost went past Todoroki and Bakugo! Man, it was pretty manly! Especially how you ran on those thin ropes so easily! I almost tripped trying to pull the same stunt as you!" He complimented.

Manly? Well, I guess it's just Kirishima's way of speech... 

She thought as she sweatdropped. She took out her notepad from her pants pocket and scribbled. 

"Thank you, Kirishima-kun! Although, 4th place is wasn't exactly what I was expecting... Oh, and if you wish, I could provide you with some gymnastics lessons!"

Kirishima let out a sheepish laugh as he continued. "Well, it's way better than my 9th place. And yeah, I'll take up on your offer! Thanks!" He replied, making his companion laugh a little. Midnight's voice soon hindered their friendly conversation.

"The first game for the first-year stage is over! Now, take a good look at the results!" Kirishima and Shizumi turned their attention towards the scoreboard, despite knowing what their positions were. She glanced at Kyoka's 21st place, a smile adorning her face.

"Hey, why isn't Aoyama there?" She heard Kirishima articulate from near her, making her re-read the scoreboard once again.

He's right...

She felt a little guilty over how everyone in her class had passed except the poor boy. Despite his over-confidence and weird personality, she had come to like him a little.

"The top 42 students made it to the next round. It's unfortunate, but don't worry if you didn't make it! We've made other places for you to shine!" Midnight announced. "The real battle begins next! The press cavalry battle will be over it! Now, here is the second game!"

Shizumi calmed her neurotic heart as she saw the words "CAVALRY BATTLE" over the screen. Cavalry Battle?

Midnight gave a brief explanation of the event, where she told on how students would form teams of four and assigned point values on their ranks in the previous race.

"This means that the first place is worth...1 MILLION POINTS!"

Shizumi could already detect her heart stop, feeling bad for Midoriya who got stares from most of the students. She immediately felt relief that Midoriya had pulled his trick on her earlier and came first instead of her. If she had been first right now, she could have died in place!

Midnight then announced 15 minutes to form teams. 

◇◆◇

Shizumi immediately panicked, believing no one would want to partner up with a silent girl. She began looking around nervously, hoping that someone would pick her. She saw how Bakugou was surrounded by most of our classmates, who were practically pleading him to let them be on his unit.

BakugoU-kun?....No way! He's way too scary, and I can tell that he hates me...

 The girl glanced at Midoriya, who was also standing alone. She could have gone to him, considering how they both were alone, but she knew how her quirk wouldn't help him one bit. Her enhanced strength was a weapon of itself, but it isn't a quirk meant for long-ranged battle at all.