Chapter 2 - Strange World

A rush of thoughts penetrated my head like a burst of needles, causing not only my headache from earlier to return but my chest to close in on me. I struggled to breathe, trying to make sense of what was happening. Was I dreaming? Was this some sort of hallucination? But the coldness of the air and the weight of the jacket on my body felt too real to be imagined.

"This is not the time to be stressing" I declared to myself. What I need to do is keep my cool, get out of here, and assess my situation.

The shopkeeper's voice interrupted my thoughts, "Are you still interested in the watch, sir?"

I looked down at the timepiece in my hand and shook my head. "N-no, thank you," I said, placing it back on the counter half in a daze.

But my mind was still reeling, and I couldn't focus on anything for long. I realized my waist-side bag was gone, and my heart sank. That bag held everything I needed – my phone, my wallet, my keys, everything. How was I going to take my test tomorrow?

I started patting myself down, hoping that maybe I had misplaced it somehow. But all I found was a tattered old wallet and a pin that pricked my finger as I dug into my jacket pocket. As I pulled it out to examine it, I saw that it was a faded gold brooch, unlike anything I had ever seen before.

My pants pockets, however, had nothing in them which wasn't helpful and upon checking myself I noticed a hole, slightly smaller than a bottle cap in my right pant leg. How annoying.

What the hell is going on?

"Um, sir, are you ok there?"

"No shit, what does it look like?" I snapped back at the shopkeeper, feeling the frustration and confusion building up inside me.

The shopkeeper looked intimidated, "I'm so sorry sir, I just thought you seemed a bit... disoriented."

"Disoriented?" I scoffed, "More like transported to another century. Where the hell am I?"

"What do you mean sir? You're in Leode of course."

Great, that helps me a ton. If this old bat can't be of any real help, I'll just have to do it myself. The only way to succeed is to rely on yourself, that's for sure.

"H-have a wonderful day sir," the shopkeeper waved as I left.

The bell chimed again as I stepped through the chipped door and into the vibrant new world. The streets were littered with people going about their day, many seemingly walking to work as not only the chill, but the dawn lustre bathing the streets suggested it was rather early.

The cool air once again biting at my nose and ear tips as I stepped into the traffic of people.

"Bah. Why did this have to happen," I was ready to go home, have a good meal and get ready for my test tomorrow. I may be taken aback by this situation but I'm annoyed more than anything.

I needed to focus, to figure out how I got here and how to get back. But first things first, I needed to find my bag. Without my things, I could even consider myself a helpless wreck. How would I figure anything out?

I took off down the street to take in my new surroundings, warm brick buildings towering on each side of the narrow street, while the stale dirt road was seen accommodating the regular horse and cart. It reminded me of my classes back at university where they learnt about 19th-century Europe.

Back in that time, it was the beginning of the industrial revolution that brought the rise of inventions in the steam and machinery department. As well as major steps in industrialisation, finance and commerce, and the scenery that was laid out before me was every bit similar.

Although this was clearly not the same place I was in earlier, it was like I was stepping back in time, and I couldn't help but feel a slight sense of awe and wonder. But I didn't have time for that. I needed to find my things and figure out what had happened to me. Had I been drugged? Was this some sort of elaborate prank? Doubt it. Or had I somehow stumbled into some sort of wacky time portal?

I shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts. I couldn't get distracted. I needed to keep my focus on the task at hand. I most needed to figure out how to get back home before tomorrow's test. If I could even get back.

"Think," I said under my breath.

There's no point going back to that watch shop, I was just there and the owner doesn't seem to know anything. I should probably figure out where I am first, that seems logical enough to me. I have a few options that I can think of.

I could read the newspapers and at least figure out where and when I am, but seeing as I have no money I likely couldn't get one. Reading something at a library if I can find one would be a good idea too. Looking at history or political books and maps would give me a definite answer if I was still even on earth, but it might not tell me the exact details of my current situation. And finally, just straight up asking someone, it's not my preferred method but if my other ideas won't work then I might have to settle.

Shouts, screams and cheers could be heard in the distance further along past the rows of shops and residential buildings on either side of the way.

Walking further and further I noticed the crowds of people walking along with me were headed in the direction of said cheers, many residents pushed past me as they rushed past and disappeared into the crowds of people up ahead.

I could hear the growing cacophony of screams and shouts as I made my way through the dense crowd, trying to catch a glimpse of what was causing such an uproar.

"Off with his head!"

As I got closer, the noise became more distinct, and I could make out the words being yelled. I came up to the large crush of people and squeezed past a few, moving more into the crowd to get a closer view.

"Burn him!"

"Die you bastard!"

"Rot in hell scum!"

Among the crowds of chanting people up ahead stood an elevated wooden platform with four chained men, hunched over with their heads covered by sacks, kneeling next to a tall man in a dark navy uniform with a whip at his waist side.

"These four men were found illegally practising magic and have committed treason of the highest degree! They will now be severely punished for their crimes against the state!" The man in the navy uniform bellowed out towards the people.

"Magic?" I muttered under my breath. "What on earth is this place?"

I watched in horror as the officer dragged the first prisoner out of his chains and tied him to the platform's centre post. The prisoner's body was already covered in bruises and cuts, evidence of the beatings he had endured before. The crowd still crying out for him to be brutally persecuted and that he should be ashamed of himself.

"This is what happens to those who choose to neglect the law and put lives at risk by practising the illegal act of magic!" The officer roared, targeting his words at rule breakers who may be hiding amongst the crowd.

"If you are found practising this magic, we will have no choice but to make an example of you, much like these poor gentlemen here who have so kindly given themselves up for us on this fine morning."

With a collection of applause penetrating my ears, the officer unfastened his whip from his side.

I turned to leave, having to jostle my way through the cramped spaces the crowd had provided. No way am I going to have my initiation into this new world scarred by watching this. I've seen my fair share of gory action flicks but watching something like this in real life is a whole nother story.

One thing for certain, this place wasn't my own world. Public executions of this kind were only practised back in the late 1700s and early 1800s in Europe, and this place definitely did not look that old. Oh and yeah, magic.

Walking away from the masses, I heard the whip cracking on the man's back as I flinched at the first strike, I couldn't make out his cries even if he was as the crowd was loud enough to overpower his struggle.

A hand was then placed on my shoulder.

"Hey mister."