Chapter 58 - Not Just Plain Paper

The book cracked softly as Darius opened the cover and turned the pages of the record book. It was one of the record books I hadn't read yet as it was stored in Darius's office, away from the more public records.

His fingers traced the pages and his eyes scanned over the words quickly until he came to a stop on a page near the middle of the book.

"This record here," Darius began, his voice reverberating with a sense of awe, "details an event long in the past—the discovery of a legendary artifact known as the Diary of Infinite Travels, created by the arcanist known as 'The Lonely Wanderer'."

The mere mention of such names somehow sent shivers down my spine. A legendary artifact. I had encountered a few artifacts before but none were mentioned like this. Shattered Sight, the small pair of spectacles and The Hand of God, the chainmail glove.

"Its creation as an artifact was said to be birthed by the knowledge and information meticulously written and recorded within its pages. Something of an enigma in the world of artifacts," Darius continued, his gaze fixed on the dusty book before him. "The Diary, an artifact of immeasurable value, holds within it the essence of countless journeys and arcanist discoveries across the world during the earlier eras in history. Unfortunately, it's been missing for centuries."

Our breaths seemed to hang in the air, heavy with the weight of Darius's words. The very mention of the Diary of Infinite Travels invoked an air of mystery and significance that tingled in the quiet meeting room.

"If my predictions are correct," Darius continued, his voice laden with quiet intensity, "these leaks suggest that the pages rumoured to be auctioned off are potentially excerpts from this very diary itself. The auction being solely arcanist-related lends credence to this theory. It's logical to assume that such extraordinary pages, tied to the arcanist world, hold exceptional value."

The pages, a mere fragment of a greater whole, suddenly made sense. The diary itself had vanished centuries ago, its absence shrouded in legend and myth. This also reminded me of the missing pages I discovered in the library books. Could this also be related somehow? Did those books have information that someone wanted to be erased perhaps?

Caius's brow furrowed in contemplation. "But why sell just a few pages if the diary's worth is immeasurable?"

"Scarcity," Fleur interjected, her voice contemplative. "If the diary's been lost for so long, only fragments remaining, each piece becomes invaluable. It's about control, limiting access to such profound knowledge. That sounds exactly like something King would do."

"But why would he be willing to sell such knowledge," Lucas asked.

"King takes no sides," Fleur replied. "Once he reads whatever is on those pages, he likely wouldn't care what happens to them. Let alone having them fall into a tyrant's hands."

Darius inclined his head in agreement, his eyes conveying both concern and resolve. "We cannot allow the pages, mere fragments though they may be, to fall into the wrong hands. The implications of such knowledge are vast and dangerous."

Lucas, his brow furrowed with contemplation, voiced the unspoken inquiry hanging in the air. "But why not let it be sold to a reputable buyer? Someone who might use it for the greater good?"

Darius sighed, his expression solemn. "Because this is not just any knowledge. It's an artifact—a high-tier artifact, to be precise. The Diary of Infinite Travels isn't about offence or defence; it's about the knowledge within. Knowledge that could alter not just the arcanist world but the very fabric of oneself, turning into a much more powerful Lamentor in the process."