Chapter 3 - Can't be trusted

A warm cheerful voice passed my ears.

"Wow, what a nice jacket you're wearing. Where'd ya get it? Goldeen?"

I spun around to see nobody in my view except the crowd as before, still continuing on with their cheers.

"It's really good quality, did ya get it from up in the capital?"

Looking down, the boy was much shorter than me, about two heads shorter than my six-foot stature, feeling up the suit jacket I had somehow obtained.

"Who are you?" I asked as I took a step back from the boy getting further away from the crowd.

"Sorry mister, I've just never seen such nice clothes like this, you're not from around here, are you? You must be from Goldeen, or from down south maybe?" The boy followed suit and took a step forward towards me, clearly an overly friendly type. "Have you come to watch the Enforcers kick the guts out of some criminals, have you? It's not really my kind of thing, I'm just passing through here."

I was too stunned to speak, it had been less than an hour and I had already been picked out from the rest of the people as different by some scruffy white-haired kid.

"My name's Caius, you are?"

"Elias," I said sceptically looking him up and down subtly so as to not make it obvious that I was already making assumptions. A beret with patches poorly sewn, a tan vest over a thin white shirt, and dirty pinstripe pants, he must not have much money seeing how he isn't even wearing a jacket in this cold weather.

"Well, imma call you Eli," Caius said with a cheerful grin as he held out his hand looking for a handshake.

My face squinted into a scowl, good luck getting a handshake out of me. I'm not one to get attached to people and it isn't really on my bucket list. I'm not starting now.

"Yeah, no thanks," I took another step back into a turn, indicating I had to go. In reality, I just wanted to get away from this child.

"Not a shaker I see, how about a bump?" Caius cheekily snarked as he formed a fist out of his outstretched hand.

He's clearly not going to give up, a fist bump should be fine I guess. I quickly bump his fist and take another step backwards.

Caius came up beside me, "Have you noticed the looks you've been getting? You might want to keep a low profile here seeing as you're from the capital. You might intimidate some folk, but not me. Also, you got a hole in your pants, might want to get that sorted."

Even though I already knew, I looked down at the hole in my pants. No wonder I was still cold. I should probably sort that out sooner than later, or just get some new pants.

"You're most welcome," he said looking rather chuffed.

Who did this kid think he was? He obviously couldn't read the room.

His eyebrows lifted as he finally caught on, "Ah, you must be busy, no worries. I'll catch ya another time."

Caius waved back at me as he broke out into a light jog past the large crowd of people and into the area of town I hadn't discovered yet.

"Ugh" I rolled my eyes. Thank goodness he's gone.

I briefly patted down my coat, as he had ruffled it up.

"Wait, my pocket... is it... uh...?" My eyes suddenly widened in exasperation and realized what had occurred. "Bah!" Caius had slipped the wallet and pin thing somehow. It's not like it was super valuable to me, but it could be important clues as to my current situation.

My feet kicked up a small cloud of dust as I took off running on the dirt road, pushing past the crowds of people still blocking up the road. Rows of eyes passing by.

As I got through to the other side of the people and into the streets of the part of the town I hadn't explored yet it dawned on me, although he can't have gone far and I might be able to find him... I still have no clue where I am which leaves me at an unfortunately huge disadvantage.

I probably won't spot him by his clothing since it seemed like common attire in this town and blended in quite well with the other civilians around his height. I can probably point out his hair colour since nobody I've seen had white hair much like him.

I scanned the area for anybody running or any unusual movements trying to pinpoint the thief. I shouldn't underestimate anyone here and he seems experienced enough to know not to run and to try and blend in for someone of his appearance. Hopefully, he should still be around this area.

A bustling street with suits, hats and ties walking to work, children playing with sticks and stones by the roadside, and money exchanging hands at the street vendors, but there was not a single person in sight that looked like my pickpocket.

"Sigh..." My determined appearance had quickly turned down a few notches. Not only had I just got my things taken, but now I probably won't even make it back to take my final exam tomorrow. I had been studying my butt off for that test and had everything I needed to pass. The long hours of hard work every day ready to be paid off, my long-awaited success right within my reach but it had to be ruined by coming here.

As I looked up at the buildings of the town; a bakery, a hat shop and a library. With no money, I can't buy anything obviously, but I should be able to go and read some books. Finally, a place that can cheer my spirits and that I'm more accustomed to, I might also be able to figure out where on earth I am.

I strolled over to the quaint entrance of the library as a few other people were entering.

If I have no chance of getting home in time for my test, I may as well try and figure out how I ended up here and why. I should also try and accustom myself to this new place, something I'm rather used to so that won't be difficult.

Pushing open the doors I was greeted with the homely smell of books, and the earthy aroma of freshly brewed coffee and tea. The inside of the building looked more well-kept than the watch shop from earlier as the wooden walls were cleanly stained rather than chipping, and the tiled floors looked recently polished since they probably cleaned overnight.

I walked over to one of the near shelves, the books spanning from floor to ceiling. How will I ever know where to begin, but that's exactly how I expected it to be. It's a rather large library of course.

Stepping across the room, I browsed the spines across one of the tall shelves for a while and placed my hand on a book that had taken my interest. The cool leather cover bound to the back of the book felt all too natural to me as I took it out of its space in the wall and the faint vanilla smell of the pages permeated through the air and into my nose.

"Well, I think I'll enjoy something here at least."