Chapter 69 - Under the Stars

The interior of the church enveloped me in a hushed reverence, the soft glow of candlelight casting shadows across the weary stone floors.

Rows of rough wooden pews stretched before me, each one scattered by figures immersed in silent prayer.

In contrast to the Church of the Keeper of Time back in Leode, this church had seen better days. It really exemplified the worn and torn state of Araway and its overall dilapidated atmosphere.

The air was thick and overwhelming with the scent of lavender incense, its aromatic tendrils swirling around the chamber. The dusk light filtered through stained and cracked glass windows, casting faint hues of crimson and gold, softly illuminating the space with a glow.

My footsteps echoed softly as I made my way down the central aisle, drawn toward the heart of the church. Ahead, bathed in the moon stood a magnificent white marble statue over five meters tall from floor to ceiling—a towering figure of a long-haired crowned man with sharp features.

His regal form leaned casually against a towering sword, his gaze fixed on some unseen horizon. In his left hand, he cradled the hilt of the blade, while his right hand stretched out toward the heavens as if beseeching some divine presence above.

The craftsmanship was exquisite, and each detail was meticulously carved to perfection. From the intricate folds of his flowing robes to the serene expression etched upon his noble features, the statue exuded an aura of strength and majesty. This was The God of Domination and Will.

Darius had told me about the True Gods and the Celestial deities. Just looking at the statue of one of them exuded such an overwhelming aura and presence that I couldn't help but feel drawn to it.

With a reverence born of both curiosity and respect, I approached one of the vacant pews near the back of the church. The rough-hewn wood creaked softly beneath me as I lowered myself onto the seat, bowing my head in silence against the watchful gaze of the marble statue.

In the quiet sanctity of the church, I closed my eyes, allowing the ambient sounds of whispered prayers and flickering candles to wash over me in the evening. With a quiet intensity, I inwardly petitioned to The God of Domination and Will, beseeching for strength and determination in the face of the impending task that lay before me.

"Grant me the power and the will to succeed," I murmured softly, my words lost amidst the solemn hush of the sacred space. "Guide my steps and lend me your unwavering resolve."

As someone who wasn't religious, I had no idea what needed to be said as prayer. All I could ask for was guidance at this time. With how my other ventures had turned out, this was important.

Whilst the echoes of my silent plea faded into the dim recesses of the church, a subtle sensation washed over me—a familiar yet distinct feeling that resonated deep within my being and spirit. It was akin to the connection I had felt during the prayer back at the Church of the Keeper of Time with Darius, a thread of energy that bound me to something greater than myself.

But this time, it was different. Stronger. More potent.

Before I had felt a subtle change within me, within my glass bowl, that I had somehow put me in a flow state and enhanced my abilities as an Arcanist. But now the sensation was greater.

It was less of a sensation and more like a surge of energy that coursed through me, suffusing my consciousness with a newfound clarity and purpose. It was as if the glass bowl within my mind, the vessel that contained my abilities, had been filled to the brim with illusory water, expanding and amplifying its power.