Chapter 54 - Beggar

As the sun started to begin its descent, casting shadows across the streets of Central Leode, I decided to head towards both the markets and the entertainment district. It made sense that a supplier of illegal goods like Lorenzo would have certain connections to the underground areas due to the connection to Pandora, and both the markets and the Entertainment District were known to be hubs for arcanist-related activities and rumours to other arcanists.

This was rather beneficial to Arcanists, as Enforcers were more concentrated in the central areas, while in the outskirts like the Entertainment District and the markets were the playgrounds for hiding Arcanists alike.

When the enforcers did make a rare public display of caught criminal Arcanists, it was almost always in these parts though. Enforcers did keep their patrols more in Central Leode, but they would have some presence around the markets and Entertainment District to keep an eye on the more active territories.

Caius, still trailing behind me as I had requested, seemed unusually quiet. I had briefly explained the details of the bounty task to him earlier and emphasized the need for discretion and caution. I wanted him to understand that this wasn't a typical outing and I needed him to stay out of my way. Maybe he was taking my words to heart for once.

As we wandered through the vibrant streets, I kept my eyes and ears open, searching for anything that might lead us to Lorenzo. But the hours passed, and we found nothing. It was frustrating, and I could feel Caius growing restless beside me.

Caius finally spoke up while taking a bite of an apple he bought at the market. "Elias, we've been all over the place, and there's no sign of anything."

I had considered using my abilities as a Tier 8 Watcher, but that would require something to use it on. If we had some kind of clue or item related to Lorenzo, I would be able to see into the past and possibly locate him a lot quicker. But we had no such leads other than a name and a description of his activities.

Caius's voice was tinged with frustration, and I couldn't blame him. I had been chasing shadows, and it was disheartening to come up empty-handed.

I nodded in agreement, my voice equally frustrated. "You're right. I need some kind of lead, something more concrete to go on. I can't keep wandering aimlessly."

All Deka had provided was a name and a description of Lorenzo's activities. Though it could be better, I couldn't blame him. I was picking this bounty up myself without the help of Darius and the rest of the Den.

Caius rubbed his temples as if trying to ease the tension building up. "There is one place we haven't checked yet, Eli. The Homeless District."

I raised an eyebrow, intrigued by his suggestion. "The Homeless District? What would Lorenzo be doing there? Wouldn't he be dealing in his circle to avoid suspicion and prying eyes?"

Caius's eyes held a mixture of knowledge and sadness as he explained. "You see, the Homeless District is an area the enforcers seldom approach. That's why it's riddled with petty crime, gangs, and plenty of families living in poor conditions. The government neglects it. The homeless residents are barely surviving, and they resort to whatever means they can to get by."

My curiosity piqued, and I pressed further. "And what does that have to do with Lorenzo?"

Caius's voice grew more sombre as he continued, his words heavy with the weight of the reality he was describing. "The way the Leode government treats the working class is no secret. Wages don't keep up with continuously rising living costs and it ends up trickling down to the more run-down areas of Leode. Families struggling to make ends meet often end up in the Homeless District. Desperation in this area ends up leading to illegal activities more often than not. People sell goods, take on dangerous jobs, and risk getting caught by the enforcers."