Chapter 66 - Midnight Smokers

As Fleur took another drag of her cigarette, I couldn't help but appreciate the simplicity of the act. Amidst the complexities of arcanist politics and clandestine operations, there was an odd comfort in the shared silence and the occasional puff of smoke that danced in the sky. Even if I wasn't too fond of the act myself.

She took another puff of her cigarette, her hands slightly trembling. It was a subtle quiver, one that might easily go unnoticed if not for the watchful eyes of a coworker. I observed the tremor, a silent acknowledgment of underlying tension that lingered within her.

Noticing my gaze, Fleur let out a soft chuckle. "It's not nerves or anything if that's what you're thinking," she remarked, her tone carrying a hint of amusement. "I've been to Araway many times. This," she gestured to her shaking hands, "it's just from today, the aftermath of the mission."

The mention of the mission brought back a flood of memories from earlier—the crowded underground markets, the revelation of Xerces, the confrontation with King, and the subsequent failure. The events unfolded like a vivid tableau in my mind, each frame etched with its own complexities.

The corners of Fleur's lips lifted into a wistful smile, a subtle reflection of the intricate emotions she carried. She began, her voice trailing into the night air, "King and I go way back, Eli. Much like Darius is now, King was like a father figure of sorts."

I leaned against the railing, my eyes fixed on the distant horizon, the moon casting a faint glow upon the sea. The rhythmic creaking of the boat beneath us provided a soothing backdrop to Fleur's narrative.

"King used to appreciate me," Fleur continued, her words carrying the weight of nostalgia. "We were close, you could say. Partners in crime. He saw potential in me, in what I could become. I, in turn, looked up to him, admired his skills, his charisma, and how he built the underground markets up from nothing. Together, we navigated the thin line between chaos and order within the secretive world."

She took another drag of her smoke and sighed, letting the weight of her words settle amidst a cloud of grey smoke.

"He took me under his wing when I was just a child," Fleur confessed, her gaze distant, lost in the memories of a time long past. "I was naive, eager to prove myself in a world that often overlooked the capabilities of a young girl. King, with his charisma and persuasive charm, made me believe that he was my mentor, my guide through the intricate web as a fledgling arcanist."

Her knuckles turned white as she gripped the cigarette, crushing out the embers. "But how could I have known what he'd do? How he'd manipulate me? I was just a child. It wasn't right, what he did, to mould a child into a tool like that."

As the boat cut through the waves, Fleur's words hung in the air, a poignant revelation of the vulnerabilities that even the strongest of us carry within. I remained silent, allowing her to share the burdens she had carried for so long.

"It really does get to us, doesn't it?" Fleur continued, her eyes fixed on the night. "No matter how many times you've been through it all. The choices, the consequences. The weight of what we do. I'm starting to think that time isn't really on our side."

I exhaled slowly, the cool night air mixing with the lingering scent of Fleur's smoke. "Time," I muttered, contemplating her words.

"I used to doubt everything, Eli," She continued. "Doubt my choices, doubt my allegiance, doubt even the smallest actions. But tonight, seeing you all, I realized we're still here. We may not have achieved our goal, but we survived. And maybe that's enough for now."

The boat rocked gently, mirroring the ebb and flow of our conversation. The sea seemed to carry away the weight of Fleur's confession, leaving behind a quiet understanding between us.