Chapter 30 - The First Tier

I studied the man before me, taking in his appearance with a quick glance. Alexei had a thin, long face that seemed to exude a certain air of refinement. His ashy brown hair, tinged with hints of grey or white, was meticulously styled, adding to his overall polished look. The long white trench coat he wore, extending just below his knees. Its pristine condition and quality fabric spoke of a higher status, a stark contrast to the regular clothing worn in Leode. His black leather boots completed the look, polished to perfection.

I extended my hand towards Alexei, masking my curiosity with a composed expression. "Elias," I replied, my voice steady. "Pleasure to meet you."

"Likewise, Elias," he responded with a firm handshake. "Darius has told me about you. He sees a lot of potential in you and wants me to teach you a few things about being an arcanist."

Darius interjected. "Indeed, Elias. Alexei here is from the capital's arcanist unit in Goldeen. He has come specifically to train you."

"I wasn't aware that my training would begin so soon."

"Indeed." Darius nodded, his expression serious. "I've inducted you into the circle of arcanists, yet you possess no abilities. It was inevitable." Darius' eyes widened as if he remembered something important, "Oh Elias, have you thought about the three options I talked to you about yesterday?"

I hadn't really thought about it too hard after our little meeting yesterday at all. In fact, I had chosen right as Darius was telling me about my options. "Yes, I've put in quite some thought to it all. No worries there."

Alexei looked down at his wristwatch and chimed in, "Darius, Elias, I'd like to start as soon as possible if that's ok." He looked up at me and continued. "Elias, would you mind coming with me."

I could sense the urgency in Alexei's voice and his eagerness to begin the training. "Of course," I replied. "Lead the way."

Alexei nodded towards Darius in a confirming manner, as if bidding farewell of a sort even though we were just going over to another room.

We made our way through the office and over to one of the rooms I hadn't had the opportunity to explore yet that read "Chemistry" above the door. As we entered, Alexei unbuttoned his trench coat, revealing a crisp white shirt underneath, meticulously pressed and adorned with a small insignia pinned to his collar, likely Goldeen related to show his higher status. His movements were fluid and precise, mirroring the air of discipline that seemed to surround him.

The room had a table that curled around the edges of the room, housing all kinds of indescribable powders, materials and liquids in jars, containers and glassware. It was also lit brightly, not only with a ceiling light but various lanterns too. The stone floor had markings both engraved and half rubbed out as if the last experiment wasn't cleaned up properly.

While he removed his coat, Alexei continued our conversation. "So, Elias, tell me about the options Darius presented to you. You've taken enough time to think about your options?"

"That I have," I answered.

"And?" Alexei replied while placing his coat on a hanger in the corner.

"I've chosen the Watcher," I said without hesitation. "Darius explained that it's a mental time ability."

From what Darius told me, it would be able to take advantage of my natural intellect and would not only enhance it but level it up completely. Out of the three options, it would only make sense to go with this one since it also aligns perfectly with my future aspirations too.

I know there may be a possibility that things could change in the future such as the other options having much greater abilities that I could've or should've needed, but there would be no way to know or prepare for that kind of thing. Going with my gut and choosing the Watcher has to be my only choice.