Chapter 48 - Meticulous Reflecting

My body ached, and the taste of blood lingered on my lips as I slowly regained my senses from my slightly distorted vision. Fritz's escape had left me battered and exhausted.

Darius let out a weary sigh and leaned on one of the chairs as if he had anticipated this turn of events. Lucas scanned the area, his brow furrowed in confusion.

"Where did Fritz go?" He wondered aloud, his voice trembling with frustration.

I struggled to make sense of the situation. What kind of abilities allowed him to do that? Was it another artifact?

Jo's voice cut through the haze of my thoughts, providing crucial information. "Those abilities he used to get away, belong to one of the Space pathways. He's either a Tier 7 Distancer or Tier 6 Cartographer."

I nodded, masking my surprise, but inside, I realized I had much to learn about the intricacies of these powers. I was merely a Tier 8 Watcher of the Time Pathway, I stood no chance against him.

Yet, Fritz's escape only fueled my determination. If I wanted to survive as an arcanist, I would have to get stronger. It would only take time before I was to face him or any other formidable foe again, I needed to be able to control my powers in a way that was perfect. I couldn't stay a pathetic 'Watcher' with no real offensive abilities forever.

As I stood there, trying to quell the pounding in my head, the rest of our team appeared just as perplexed about what to do next. Fleur's voice broke the tense silence, her frustration evident. "Shouldn't we track Fritz down? He could still harm innocent people."

Darius, however, held up the black glove and clenched it, The Hand of God that once adorned Fritz's fist. His voice was calm and resolute as he spoke, "We've achieved our objective. Fritz was merely an obstacle, and he no longer possesses the artifact anymore. We're done here."

Fleur's irritation flared, and she retorted, "But he's still out there Boss. He could unleash more chaos and destruction."

Darius met her gaze, unwavering. "He did it all with this. He no longer has it now. Besides, we can track Fritz down anytime something comes up. We can't be too hasty right now."

"But-" Fleur said back.

Darius interjected cutting her off. "He could be backed by an organisation for all we know. And with the state we're all in now, I don't think it would be a wise idea to challenge something like that."

As the debate between Fleur and Darius continued, the weight of my own thoughts pressed upon me. My fingers clenched into fists, feeling the latent power within them. I couldn't deny the truth in Darius's words. Fritz might be a formidable adversary, but there were greater forces at play, and our team needed to be prepared for whatever lay ahead.

Darius turned to Jo, his voice measured and calm. "Jo, can you take care of the artifact?"

She nodded with a determined expression, her gaze fixed on The Hand of God. "Of course, Darius. I'll keep it safe."

With the decision made, we began to gather ourselves. Lucas helped Mar to her feet, and Jean checked on their injuries. As for me, the throbbing pain in my head persisted, a constant reminder of my limitations.

Fritz's abilities gnawed at me like a puzzle with missing pieces. The Space Pathway's powers he wielded were impressive, but there was more to it. It was as if he possessed a deeper understanding, a secret knowledge that seemed to even elude Darius.

Jo's movements brought me back to the present as she carefully stowed The Hand of God in a secure case. The artifact, an enigmatic and powerful relic, had been the catalyst for this entire encounter. I couldn't help but wonder about its origins with Valliant Force and its connection to the so-called 'Rose,' the cryptic entity Fritz had mentioned.