Chapter 59 - Undetectable Ability

Fleur's gaze flickered toward the masked guard, her expression tightening imperceptibly. In that fleeting moment, recognition danced in her eyes—a glimpse of apprehension that she swiftly concealed.

As the guard neared, he cast a direct glance at Fleur, his voice a low, authoritative rumble. "Miss Prolux, if you could come with me. He's waiting outside."

She nodded, a facade of compliance masking an underlying tension. With a subtle nod to us, she followed the guard, her figure disappearing amidst the pulsating crowd and eventually outside the bar.

I seized the opportune distraction, slipping away from the group unnoticed. Hopefully, both Lucas and Caius think I've just gone to the bathroom. My path diverged from their discourse, leading me toward the familiar face at the back tables of the Red Anchor.

"Elias," Deka greeted, his voice carrying a tone of expectancy.

"I anticipated you'd be back today," I replied. "Did you receive any messages from the Church?" I inquired, my tone veiled with curiosity. As I told Pablo the Bishop that the bounty was issued by Haywood Ahern, it would only make sense for Deka to get the news first from the church.

Deka's nod affirmed my suspicions. "He's in custody. The Church made their move and let me know this morning. Were there any complications?"

Of course there were, but Deka wasn't part of the Arcanist world from what it seemed. I would have to keep him in the dark.

Though Pablo, the bishop, had seemed concerned with Haywood Ahern. Deka's employer and a government official. Could Mr Ahern be dealing with Arcanist matters behind the scenes too just like my other suspicions with the Barros family scroll situation?

"There were, yes. But nothing I couldn't handle. I just took him to the church and let the bishop deal with him."

Deka sighed with relief and reached into his jacket pockets.

The weight of the news settled upon me, a mixture of relief and trepidation. Lorenzo's capture might mitigate some dangers but brought forth a host of new uncertainties. Especially his connection to The Black Rose and the current situation with Kings Underground Market Auction.

Deka's expression softened, a fleeting gratitude mingling with his relief. "Thank you, Elias. You've been a tremendous help in this."

With a subtle gesture, he retrieved a small pouch, its contents jingling faintly within. Tossing it my way, the bag landed in my palm, the coins rattling within its confines.

"This," Deka declared, "is your reward, Elias. A token of gratitude for your assistance."

I peered inside, coins glinting in the dim light, all golden. As expected, someone in the government such as Haywood Ahern was wealthy. I'd definitely want to take more jobs from him in the future.

I nodded, acknowledging the gesture. "Thank you, Deka. I appreciate it."

He offered a small, knowing smile before shifting the conversation. "I'll keep you in the loop. Should any new bounties surface, you'll be the first to know."

Well, that was perfect. More money coming in. It'll make my life in the future far more comfortable and much quicker.

A tacit agreement settled between us, the unspoken understanding of our future dealings. As I drifted away from. Deka, I returned to the table where just Lucas and Caius awaited. No Fleur yet.

But before I could rejoin their company, Caius's probing gaze caught me off guard. "Elias, what were you discussing with that gentleman in the corner?"

An inward sigh escaped me. My slip away from the group hadn't been discreet enough. However, before I could form a response, Fleur's return interrupted the conversation.