Why defend them?

Octavia POV

Plutarch and Flavia left once they announced Koa was stable, what is 'stable' here in 13 anyways?

" Can we see her?" I ask the nurse, who gave me a scowl hidden with somewhat of a crappy grin. " I'm afraid we can't allow that at the moment. We still need to run some tests."

" I thought you said she was stable?" I question annoyance laced in my tone.

Her fake grin fell, " We still need to run some tests, she is fine. They are just precautionary." She snaps.

" We'll see her later." Evangeline adds looking at the nurse with the same grin. " I'll get clearance for it."

The nurse's eyes wander to Evangeline's with a quick nod before retreating back to her room.

" You want to get food?" Evageline asks rubbing her tired face.

I didn't want to eat with her, infact right now she's one of the last ones I'd want to eat with right now. She can't think I'm over what she did, or said all this time? Even before the last games, this whole year she's made it known how big of a screw up I was.

But, I was starved. I ate at breakfast but even then it wasn't much at all, with all the recent events my appetite was dwindled.

I give her a nod before walking towards the dining hall, her catching up to my pace. Now we walk side my side not saying a single word, I can feel her gaze on me occasionally but I pretend not to notice.

We sat down at one of the further off tables, still I stay quiet turning all my attention to the food I now had no desire to eat. Evangeline chuckles, dropping her fork with a loud thud.

I look up at her, her face screwed in a taut expression, " Your still not happy." She mentions.

I shrug, " I'm not happy with this whole situation. Being here, all thats happened since we've been here."

" I can tell by now when your mad at me little Jay-"

" Don't call me that." I spit mustering up one of her infamous looks she does all the time.

" We're going to be working together a lot. Whatever you want to say to me, you minus well get it off your chest." She says leaning her head in her hands. " Say it."

I shrug, " You should've saved Cal. If Snow would kill me at least you'd be safe here."

" Coin wanted us to save him first, Plutarch went against her orders. That had nothing to do with me."

I scoff, " Maybe you should've told me the plan."

" I wanted to, but Plutarch sworn me in to secrecy. If I told you, they'd kill Anker. Doesn't matter now though." Her smile turned bitter as she picked at her plate.

As much as I still wanted to hate her, I felt bad. Anker was the one stable thing in her life since her games. He was important to her.

" Do you know what happened?"

She shakes her head. " No, I'd like to think he died in the fire. But Snow saw me on that hovercraft so maybe he died sooner then we think."

She physically shakes the thought. " So... How did you manage to get in Hadley's good graces? Gale said he convinced you to be Mockingjay."

Now I play with my food, " He approached me. After the broadcast."

She eyes me like I spoke a foreign language.
" What?" I ask.

" He needs to have an alterior motive." She mutters.

" He just wants his girlfriend back." I brush off.