30

You already know I was going to check Kay was in her room and not in Odairs.

At 11 o'clock I got up. I found out as I was walking to my room that Kay is on the same hallways as me. They couldn't have planned that more perfectly.

I made sure her door wasn't locked, I heard light chatter. I opened the door slowly, she had the Tv on and a small lamp near her bed.

She was awake.

She looked over at me, " Sorry, just night checks." I lie.

" Did you bust anyone yet?" She asks with a slight smile.

" Not yet."

I was about to close the door when she stopped me, "Is River afraid of you?"

I just look at her, unsure how to answer.

I don't want her mad at me, If I can get her to talk I will. I manage up a small smile, " I think a lot if people are. I don't try but I guess being commanders son and all.."

She nods, " He acted weird once you left."

I take a step in her room, " How was he being weird?"

" Dunno, just seemed distant. He told me to leave."

" Was he rude?"

She shrugs, " I think I was just being a little to overbearing. What did you talk to him about?"

I bit the inside of my cheek, he really had the nerve to be disrespectful to her.

" Umm.. Just command stuff. We can't really say, I would but.." I trail off.

" He said you guys didn't like him."

My face hardened, " Did he?"

She nods, " He didn't tell me why."

" Your head was probably hurting to much, remember we can't say much if it does that."

" My head never did hurt."

He just didn't want to tell the truth, but still I try to play nice.

" Maybe he was just nervous he'd hurt you."

She readjusts in her bed, " Yea. Maybe that was it." She had a small smile on her lips, probably thinking he was so sweet or something like that.

" I was waiting up for you." She mentions, " To see if you were really doing night checks."

I laugh, " You didn't believe me?"

" I kinda did. I just wanted to see."

" Or did you just want to see me? If your missing me and Priya sleeping over you can say so.."

She laughs, her laugh I wish I could listen to forever. " No.. I don't think River would like it if he found out you two were sleeping here. You won't tell him?"

" Of course not. But.. you would want to keep that from him?"

" I don't want him to get mad." She answers truthfully, it almost made me feel bad I'm using this situation for my advantage.

I lean on the wall, " If he loves you Kay, he won't be mad at you for being honest. Better you saying something before someone else does."

She picks at her blanket, " I guess your right."

I smirk, " I'm always right."

" I have a feeling that's not true." She says smartly back.

" You'll learn I am. I always look out for your best interest."