Chapter 58

Back with Cana

"Should be around here..." Cana continued to follow the direction where Arashi was.

"Poor guy, I wonder how long this has been happening for it to get this bad?" Cana asked herself

Soon something else popped into her mind.

"Hold up... it's a beautiful starry sky... just going to be me...and him... alone... in the forest."

Cana wanted to do a little giddy dance at the opportunity she was just given but mentally slapped herself at the seriousness that was happening.

"Okay calm yourself girl, first we need to make sure he's okay."

She herself began to think back from the battle at Tenrou Island, she didn't know if her heart could have handled the sight of Arashi battling Acnologia on his own.

She suddenly heard some rustling near her and quickly drew out some cards in case it was an enemy. But it turned out to be Rafe.

"Rafe? What are you doing here?" She asked but all she received was whimpering

"You're worried about him too huh?"

Cana gently approached Rafe and gently caressed his fur.

"Will you help me find him?"

Rafe then began to sniff the air then the ground and quickly mounted Cana on him using his head and fully sprinted in the direction.

They finally found Arashi curled up next to a tree while being completely calm. Cana gently got off of Rafe and slowly started to approach him.

"Ari... You okay?" Cana asked with a gently tone

Arashi didn't look at her, he continued to stare down at the ground. Cana continued to approach him slowly until she was finally in front of him. Gently crouching down to be at his level.

"Ari, talk to me. Everyone's worried about you."

This seemed to catch his attention as he was now staring at Cana, with dead eyes that were somehow still filled with fear, pain and regret.

"Cana?" Arashi spoke in a groggy voice

"The one and only." She softly chuckled

Arashi curled himself up even more, ashamed of what Cana had to witness before her.

Cana without saying a word, just sat next to him and both sat in silence.

They let the sound of crickets chirping and a nearby owl hooting fill in the silence between them. Cana knew that things like this shouldn't be forced but she also knew that perhaps talking it out can ease whatever Arashi was going through at the moment.

"So... want to talk about it?" Cana gently asked

Arashi continued staring into the ground, the events at the hot spring replaying in his mind. He could gently feel a hand caressing his back in a soothing way. He looked over and Cana had this comforting smile letting him know it was okay.

"I... I was afraid." Arashi began to speak.

Cana stayed quiet while he let his pent up feelings out.

"If it wasn't for Master Mavis's Fairy Shield, we all would have been dead without a doubt. But after the incident, I've been having these recurring thoughts of being the only survivor and you all were brutally killed and dismembered. Each time the thoughts return, I see Acnologia clutching one of the girls and then being held back by the corpses. I've pushed my body to its limits to make sure that something like that didn't come true but even with that I just somehow feel worse. It's gotten to the point where I have gone almost days without sleep, I didn't want to find myself in that place again. I continuously doubt myself, wondering if I was strong enough to protect them all. Afraid that at any given moment... everything can be taken away from me and I'll be all alone."