🍁Chapter:26🍁

🍁Chapter:26🍁

Isha's Pov

Ring

I sighed heavily before picking up the call, "Yes, Mumma?" my mother's giggly voice answered from the other side, I picked up on her happiness and smiled myself...it was good to see her so happy each time she talked now, and I owe it all to the babies. Somewhere...the mere announcement of their presence has alleviated a dozen of depressed moods. 

It was jarring as much as it was endearing. How two small pea-sized creatures could bring about so much happiness? 

"HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!" I pulled the phone away from my ear and shook my head yet still my heart sang in happiness with her. The last I had seen my mother so genuinely happy was maybe years ago. "Thank you." My eyes searched for my colleague as I entered the office building. I put up my hand to stop a trainee from greeting me. I settled in my chair and sighed once again. 

My damn back and my damn head were hurting and before I threw up, I needed this trainee to get away from me. God knows whatever perfume she used was making me retch internally.   

"Prerna? Can you give these to Mr. Shukla?" I handed her the files and watched her go with a relieved heart; I only prayed that my relief at her departure wasn't noticeable to her.

"What are your plans today?" My mum now chirped once again, "Nothing, we planned a family dinner-"

"Ma'am, Nitish sir wants an update from you-"

"Just a second, Maa" I quickly took a deep breath and looked at Prerna, indulging her queries as well as the work she had brought to my table. "Tell him I never got the final designs-" she opened her mouth to interrupt me again, but I held up my hand, "Listen to me first. It is not my fault the end designs never reached me; you want me to sign here without seeing the result myself?" 

"Sorry ma'am," I shut the file close and slid it over to her, "This is JC, I am lenient, but it does not mean everyone here is. People look for opportunities to throw you out. Learn to adapt or you will be next." I looked at my watch, "Get the file to me in an hour, get Nitish Sir to help you, your stay here is in my hands, and I hate tardiness." I dismissed her and went back to my mother; she was reticent.

"Maa?"

"You're so different in the office, Ishu." I scoffed lightly, "Maa, this is how I must be in the professional world. "

"I know...but still, I would hate for you to be my boss..."

"Well lucky you, you were born my mom." 

"Ishu--"

"I got to go now; I will call you later Maa."

I put my phone on silent and focused my attention back on my work. This is who I am when I am in my element, my workplace was the only area of life where I could exercise my authority and control, where I felt a semblance of control. 

My mind suddenly pushed me in a loop whilst my fingers were typing to get my work done, months ago, before my marriage, I would have never agreed to carry the kids. Even if they were Virat's, if I had felt I wasn't ready I would have fought tooth and nail against them but after...

I owed Aryan my life. If he hadn't decided to marry me, I would probably be dead by now. Either my circumstances or I would have taken my life; Aryan came to me as a source of light and pulled me out when I felt too tired to continue moving. 

My phone buzzed and I looked down to see the screen flash mine and Aryan's picture back at his friend's wedding, I had to try very hard to not smile each time I saw his cute face. The back of his neck and his ears always go red when he eats chilies. When we got this picture clicked, he had taken a bit of something very spicy.