A Rather Strange Case.

____________________

Wednesday's POV

The current events weren't entirely unseen.

Mayor Walker was murdered.

And considering a few hours before that, someone purposefully hit him with their car, it was expected that they'd try to finish the job. It's just unfortunate that most cops in this town aren't particularly good at their jobs. 

There is a plus side though.

I enjoy funerals.

I've been crashing them since I was old enough to read the obituary section.

And that is exactly where Y/N and I were at the moment.

Mayor Walker's service was being held in the pouring rain.

Principal Weems, Enid, Ajax, Xavier, Yoko, Tyler, Bianca, Ms. Thornhill, Dr. Kinbott, and Sheriff Galpin were all there. In fact, a majority of Jericho was.

The obvious people to be there were as well. Mayor Walker's son, Lucas, was near the casket alongside his mother.

They were all mostly huddled together in a sea of umbrellas.

Y/N and I were standing mostly away from them, under one umbrella. It was mine but, for obvious reasons, he was the one holding it.

He was currently squinting as he studied each individual closely.

We're certain the killer is here.

Standing 'innocently' among us, plotting their next move. And watching everything we do.

Whether they're appearing here to seem unsuspicious or because they enjoy gazing upon the repercussions of their actions is up for debate.

I know we're close to the truth.

We have all the pieces of the jigsaw, and all that's left is to slot them into place.

We must look past the tears and masks of grief. Until now, we may have been outmatched and outmaneuvered, but the final gambit is yet to be played.

The killer will make a mistake.

And we'll be ready.

From beside me, Y/N quietly groans and starts rubbing his temple.

I glance at him, "What's wrong?"

He stops for a moment, looking up at the others, before turning to me, "Nothing. Just.. a headache."

Just as a load of the crowd began to depart, he was about to say another thing but stopped. He merely stood there frozen for a second and his head perked up lightly as if he heard something.

He sharply turns to our right.

I look towards where his gaze landed.

And the moment I did, I saw a darkened figure with a large hat disappear behind a tree in the distance at the edge of the forest.

Y/N and I quickly ran after them.

Y/N tossed me my umbrella as we charged. I hurriedly close it and grip it tight. The rain begins to die down gradually.

As we're about to reach the tree, we spot the figure taking off deeper into the woods.

The deeper into the forest we go, the more the rain begins to slow. And eventually, it stops altogether. All the while, we chase the figure in black as they weave through the trees.