A Sinister Shadow

(The episode starts with a montage similar to the intro sequence, with Harumi narrating the flashbacks.)

Harumi (narrating): My name is Harumi, the Jade Princess. You may think you know my story, but you don't. As a child, the ninja were my heroes. Until the day the Great Devourer attacked Ninjago. Although my parents found a way to save me, they couldn't save themselves. The ninja, my beloved heroes, had failed me. Failed us all. I was adopted by the Emperor and Empress of Ninjago, making me a princess. But becoming royalty couldn't fill the emptiness in my heart. So I began plotting my revenge. I resurrected the greatest enemy the ninja have ever faced — Lord Garmadon. But the results went out of my control. The city was attacked yet again. I couldn't let another family be torn apart like mine was. That's how people think my story ended. But sometimes, an ending is merely a new beginning.

Past Crystal King: Harumi. Awaken. Hear me.

Past Harumi: Where — where am I?

Past Crystal King: You are with me. I have been watching you for some time, princess. Your skill and daring have impressed me. But you have chosen a poor champion.

Past Harumi: I don't understand.

Past Crystal King: You have placed your faith in Garmadon. A poor choice. He failed you, and you were abandoned again.

Past Harumi: Who are you? How do you know all this?

Past Crystal King: I am the Crystal King. And I have the power to restore you, if you will serve me.

Past Harumi: But I don't even know who you are.

Past Crystal King: A shame. I expected courage from you, Harumi, not reservation, not fear. But it seems I was wrong. Enjoy eternity in the Departed Realm.

Past Harumi: No, wait! I'll do it. I'll serve you.

Past Crystal King: Very well. Then I shall grant you life anew.

(Harumi wakes up in the rubble of a building, holding a crystal.)

Past Crystal King: Good. Now dig us out of here.

Past Harumi: (She tries and fails to lift the beam trapping her.) I — I don't have the strength.

Past Crystal King: You do now.

(The crystal glows, and so does Harumi's eyes. She pushes the beam off and emerges from the rubble.)

Past Harumi: Now what?

Past Crystal King: Take me to the place where you revealed your true face for the first time.

(Harumi arrives at the Oni Temple.)

Past Harumi: The Oni Temple.

Past Crystal King: Go to the altar. Place the crystal on the pedestal, like a seed. From it will grow a new dawn.

(Harumi has a flashback to when she betrayed and fought Lloyd in the temple. She then places the crystal into the pedestal.)

Past Crystal King: Excellent.

(The Oni Temple is crystalized.)

Past Harumi: You — you're the Overlord!

Past Overlord: I have had many names. Dark Lord. Golden Master. Crystal King. And yes, Overlord.

Past Harumi: I can't serve you. You'll destroy everything.

Past Overlord: Destruction comes from conflict, from the eternal struggle between light and dark. I will end that struggle. If you serve me, I will destroy the Balance and end the conflict once and for all. There will be peace in the dark.