Chapter 12

I wasn't planning to publish this chapter today but all your wonderful comments made me! So thank you everyone who takes the time to read and vote and comment as well!

"So what about Amir, mama?" Areesha asked. It hurt her even to take his name. It bought back all the old memories of the times they had laughed together or how he had helped her cope with her father's death.

"What happened between you two? Tell me honestly." They were currently sitting in her mother's bedroom.

"Mama I didn't lie to you that day. He said he loves another girl and not me."

"And it took him so much time to realize that?"

"I don't know." She mumbled not meeting her mother's eye. That question had been roaming around her mind too. Why now? After so much time with her, he still didn't harbor the any feelings for her? That was more depressing than anything. Was she really that worthless?

"Are you sure you didn't do anything?"

She was debating whether to tell her mother about her boss Fawad or not. If she did then her mother might get the wrong impression and if she didn't then she might hear an exaggerated version from Amir or someone else.

So she decided to tell her everything. She particularly emphasized on the fact that there was nothing between her and Fawad.

"Beta, you know what a broken engagement means right? The society just thinks that the girl is at fault and she doesn't know how to make relationships successful. And no one is willing to marry that girl."

"Mama I can't do anything about the society now can I? It's not my fault that he didn't have a grain of trust in him." She said trying to keep the anger and irritation away from her tone.

"You cannot marry anyone but him." Her mother said in a tone of finality.

"And what do you mean by that?" Areesha's head snapped towards her mother in surprise.

"I said it in very simple words didn't I?"

"Mama, you are just being conservative." She said trying not to roll her eyes.

"Its not about me beta, I don't mind who you marry. He just has to be a practicing, God-fearing muslim who can support you. There are lots of things you don't know and I don't want to elaborate. Just patch up with him. OK?"

"I don't know what to say. The most important thing in a relationship is trust and respect. He doesn't have that for me. I love him sure but that's not enough. Its just one sided. I have accepted that he has nothing to give me and I am trying to move on but you are just making it more painful. Even I can see that we won't be happy together then why can't you?"

Her mother had a defeated look on her face. How could she tell her one and only daughter everything when she knew it would hurt her more. At times like this she missed her husband more. He would have known how to handle his stubborn daughters questions. She felt silent tears rolling down her cheeks. She wasn't sure what was the cause: the absence of her husband or the fact that her daughter's fate had been signed away?

The mother unfortunately didn't have that degree of trust in Allah that everything happened according to the divine will and decree. she didn't know that The strongest weapon that every Muslim has against adversity is Dua (supplication), it can even alter the destiny.

She felt so guilty about everything she had done and was worried about her daughter's future. But she didn't understand that feeling guilty about the past couldn't change it and all her worry couldn't change the future.